Have you ever wanted to just KICK your car?!?!

-

Firemybird

Firemybird
Reaction score
Well i decided it was time to change the ol' spark plugs in the 318LA....

Passenger side = CAKE!!!!

Driver side = Alot of cursing!!!!

The drivers side front two wern't "easy" but i got them swapped... But then; OH THEN........ I came to the back two.......

My header is preventing me from accessing my plugs...

I can get my socket over the plug but i can't get my wrench in there to loosen it.... If i could just break it loose then i could at least remove them with my fingers but nothing...

Many failed extension combo's and akward angle's have got me no where...

I need to change these but how?? do i have to unbolt my header?? jack the engine up a little??

How do you guys do yours??

1974 Dart Swinger/318/727/headman headers.....??

that happens to fit my sparkplug socket.Works great to break the plugs loose,and retighten the new ones.Oh,my wrench has been modified of course,had to shorten it a bit,and its a 12 point,so it will fit the socket at any angle

I have a spark plug socket that is shaper like a nut where the ratchet end slips in so i slip it on the plug and break it with an open end wrench.

I cut/ground my spark plug socket as short as it can go...the type with the top that has the hex shape. Then I use a crows foot on the socket to break it loose.

Welcome to the Mopar small block!! All of us have broken a knuckle or 2 on those 2 plugs. ={

Tryed the swivel combo every way you can think of but no success....

I guess i'll just have to make something....

"TOBYSOLDBLUE", do you have a pic of your tool so i can get an idea of what i gotta do??

thanks!!

i just took a cheap 13/16 socket,cut in half with a cut off tool,so both ends are about 3 inches long,that way i can have a short open,or boxed in wrench,wich ever i need,lol

I have a spark plug socket that is shaper like a nut where the ratchet end slips in so i slip it on the plug and break it with an open end wrench.

Thats what I used to do when I ran headers.

And yes I have been mad at my car. I threw a wrench at a 77 monaco I had, punched a huge dent in the hood of a camaro and spent 3 days searching the woods infront of my dads shop for parts I threw when pissed off only to realise "****!!!, I needed that !" I have since learned that just walking away from the garage for a few hours/days then comming back to it later is the best thing to do.
Stupid old cars!

me too. I've always called that plug socket with the hex on top my lawn mower socket. Prolly because I've had it since it was only needed on a lawn mower LOL
Hope most of yal know the fuel line for plug install tip. 5/16 fuel line makes a great flex tool and wont let you cross thread a plug.

i used to drain out some coolant and unbolt the header. the last time i changed plugs i went with magnum engine spark plugs. 5/8 hex makes plug changes sooo much easier with headers.

Not to state the obvious, but most spark plug socket had a feature on the top outer rim (3/4" bolt pattern) that will allow you to use a open end wrench instead of a rachet. I have use that instead of an extension in tight places.

During practice fot the 1968 Plymouth Toubleshooting Contest, our instructor (who bled Mopar Blue) came up with the perfect spark plug wrench for 318s. He used a swivel spark plug socket with a 3 inch extension connected to another swivel connected to a 3 foot extension with a
T-Handle on the end. You could slam it home on the last 2 plugs on the drivers side by sliding it thru the brake lines under the master cylinder, grab the T-Handle, smack it to break the plug loose and spin it out in about in 1 second.
When I worked at the Plymouth dealer I built one for myself and all the mechanics thought I was stupid...until i showed them how great it worked.

...................... Big blocks A-Bodies are a whole nother story.

Swinger 367 has the fix, Going to the smaller 5/8" plugs helps alot and you can use a smaller o.d. socket that fits better. It doesn't fix everything but smaller is better.

Not to state the obvious, but most spark plug socket had a feature on the top outer rim (3/4" bolt pattern) that will allow you to use a open end wrench instead of a rachet. I have use that instead of an extension in tight places.

I tryed that but i couldn't get my wrench in there at the right angel....

I'll go outside later and give it another shot!!

I'd do it right now but i just got back from the G/Parents house and i dont feel like burning my hands 8)....

thanks for all the advice everyone!!

I slip on the socket first and then use a short opened end wrench,and be sure to use antiseize so it comes back out easy years from now

YEP! Went through this yesterday. Took delivery of my Duster with 318 and went to change plugs and suffered the same fate. Lucky I had my special socket with me. Can get into bizaare turns and corners... Cant wait to put extractors on and this problem will go away! It's hard with stock exhaust manifolds...

-
Back