head bolt torque specs.

-

340 swing

340swing
Reaction score
I have a 74 360. The only manual I have is for 1970 it shows 318 at 85 ft lbs and a 340 at 95 ft lbs. Any body have the specs for a 360. Does any body use any thing on the head bolts (oil, sealer?) or put them in dry. I was taught to put them in dry because fluids could change the torque value.

my book says 95 on 1/2 inch bolts or 45 on the 3/8s ones

might wanna get 2nd opinion just to be safe

Thanks for the reply, all my head bolts are the same thickness but different lengths. What book do you have. This engine came out of a 1975 Monaco.

just a book on how to build a mopar sb stroker, in the back it has torque specs for everything. for cylinder head it says 95 lbs, 45 if using a 6 bolt head (the 3/8s bolts). it doesnt specify if its for a 318/360/or 340. just says stock heads with 1/2 bolts

I have a 74 360. The only manual I have is for 1970 it shows 318 at 85 ft lbs and a 340 at 95 ft lbs. Any body have the specs for a 360. Does any body use any thing on the head bolts (oil, sealer?) or put them in dry. I was taught to put them in dry because fluids could change the torque value.

I always use a drop of engine oil on the threads to make sure the torque is correct. Most manufactorers take for granted that when they list the torques especially on engines and trannies that those are lubricated values. If however you ever use a stainless steel nut or bolt there is a special lubricant that should be used on S.S. to prevent galling of the threads.

Terry

95 is right for stock bolts and light oil or moly lube works fine.

-
Back