Head welding

-

Moparbaker

Reaction score
I got the heads worked & installed & since the begining of the engineworks I've had this thought in my head about the "lean burn" holes, but it's been such a long time so when I finaly got it all & started to put it together I forgot...
So now I was gonna put the headers on & THEN I saw the ugly little holes under the exhaust ports! :(
I used to think I was gonna thread them & put screws in, but then I thought it might be better to weld them shut 'cause then there aint no screws that can come lose.
So I'm wondering if anyone's done it before & so on... I use filled wire on my welder, it seems to grip good enough, but before I realy DO it I wanna see if someone has had bad experiance with it.

I just drilled, tapped for set screws, put two in each hole, locking them together. EZ Peeze.

And no way I put a welder anywhere near my engine heads unless there were NO other options.

Welding on your engine is a better alternative?

Preposterous.

I got the heads worked & installed & since the begining of the engineworks I've had this thought in my head about the "lean burn" holes, but it's been such a long time so when I finaly got it all & started to put it together I forgot...
So now I was gonna put the headers on & THEN I saw the ugly little holes under the exhaust ports! :(
I used to think I was gonna thread them & put screws in, but then I thought it might be better to weld them shut 'cause then there aint no screws that can come lose.
So I'm wondering if anyone's done it before & so on... I use filled wire on my welder, it seems to grip good enough, but before I realy DO it I wanna see if someone has had bad experiance with it.
welding on cast iron?! thats tough to get right. I'd just drill, tap and plug them

Drill and tap, 1/4-20 set screws, with J-B weld on threads, run them in tight. It won't get any better than this.

The consensus is drill, tap and plug and the consensus is correct. The plugs won't fall out. It has ZERO affect on flow.

Set screws and don't look back.

-
Back