Header question

-

dropshot1

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else can tell me if they have or were in the same boat and what worked, i have a 70 swinger , 340, power steering, with a four speed.im wondering how hard it would be to get tti headers in there if possible?

Don't know about TTI headers and fit, but the issue for A body cars is two fold.

One is the engine is off set away from the drivers side. You'd think that would help, but it doesn't. The starter is there and even with a mini starter space is at a premium.

Second is the power steering gear. It's so damn big and so far to the rear, that it's almost impossible to get a decent header on that side.

If you are not married to power steering you can go to manual and buy a header that fits better and doesn't burn the 5&7 spark plug wires.

I can tell you it was a no go with Dougs. The steering joint hit the back tube. I didn't want to shim the steering box or motor or dent the header tube to make this work so I bought a drop in Flaming River tilt steering column for a 69 B-Body and it all bolted in perfect other than having to cut their D shaft down.

72 Swinger 318 904 Hooker Headers. The reduced ground clearance is an issue on the left side, the right side is still pristine. Drag link has to go THROUGH the headers on the left side, something the instructions failed to mention 15 yrs ago. The OE starter fit, clearance near PS is liveable, plug wire issue was solved by some 90* wires in amongst the straight wires, shorty oil filter. Due to the position of the collectors vs the transmission crossmember, Purple Hornies are not a viable muffler option :( I saw a set of TTIs not to long ago at a car show on similar A Body .. Looked like a nice piece. It was no picnic getting them in, but well worth it.

From what I know the TTI's fit rather well, you want the "behind the steering linkage" design. There are ads on them. There was another company also that made good fit headers, I dont recall. I went back to factory manifolds on mine.

I got tti on 360 create engine with power steering they came with the car so I don't know how hard they were to install but the fit looks really good to me.

Have TTI on with power steering and mini starter. Fits nice.

I have a 72 dart swinger with a 4 speed and I have Dougs ceramic coated headers $700 bucks...

The Z Bar is a fit issue and I have the TTi Z Bar and I've tried 2 others stock and a modified and still rubbed before I had to get the torch out.

Just installed a smaller than stock Borgeson steering box and it was a nightmare with the clearance.
I paid big money for these with props and thumbs up before I got them... they look awesome but have fitment issues

There has got to be a company out there that specializes in MOPAR small block 4 speed headers that fit with no issues

There has got to be a company out there that specializes in MOPAR small block 4 speed headers that fit with no issues

Any header, for any car that is worth a damn and not a HP killer will not fit well. These cars were not designed for big tube headers, with equal length primaries and primaries short enough to work.

Doesn't matter what brand it is, good, properly sized mass produced headers will always be a tight fit.

Bought TTI 3 weeks ago. 408 6 Pack for a 1972 Dart.

20170905_230339.jpg

Bought TTI 3 weeks ago. 408 6 Pack for a 1972 Dart.

View attachment 1715095871

Those are the TTI shorty headers. I tried them on my Duster with my 340 and 4 speed, I went back to my Doug's. The clearance on the Z-bar, disk brake prop valve, and frame is really tight. I also had to cut an even bigger chunk off the bell and inspection cover at the corner on the passenger side, and the shortest oil filter they make still practically touched them with my Canton oil plate. You'd either need a stock oil sandwich plate or the 90* adaptor.

The Doug's on my 340 fit pretty darn well. I do have manual steering, although I also use a Borgeson dampening steering coupler that's just as large as the stock power steering coupler. Might be in a slightly different spot. The Flaming river manual box I have is also a little bigger than a stock manual box. You do need the modified Z-bar, I modified a stock one according to the specs on TTI's website for their headers. I did need a few dimples in the headers at the torsion bars, but that's mostly because i have 1.12" diameter torsion bars. I also have the spool mount K-frame, so, I can't make any adjustments with shims either like you can with the earlier biscuit mount K. Whether or not the TTI's or Doug's fit better is pretty much a toss up that ends up being dependent on the assembly tolerances on these cars. In other words, TTI's fit some cars better than Doug's, and Doug's fit some cars better than TTI's, and you won't know which until you try installing them. The one thing I wouldn't do is run headers that have the steering link go through them, not enough ground clearance on any of my cars for that.

My steering coupler, it's not small and it clears fine...
IMG_1167_zps1597d539.jpg

TTI instructions. You can buy a modified Z-bar from them as well

screen-shot-2016-09-08-at-1-01-24-pm-png-png.png

Mine

-3a-2f-2fimg-photobucket-com-2falbums-2fv513-2fdark04-2f74-2520duster-2fimg_1390_zps5482280e-jpg.jpg

-
Back