Header seating..

-

grassy

Reaction score
360 engine / tti headers..

We cannot get a really god seal around exhaust port #1. It is leaking below the port.

It almost looks like the header is hitting an casing bump. Too the header off but still do not have the room to get a grinder (or even a dremil ) in between.

Was think the only alternative would be to slip a bit more gasket material in between the #1...not sure what effect that would have on the next port down...

We have re-tightened after heat / cold cycles....

We are stumped.

ideas ?

Not easily...space is at a premium in the bay.. even the engine mounts are hard to get too...

..but I am think that this may be what we have to do.

The kind of look like cork but probably not...they were a brand name but my mind is blank..

Cant remember what they are called but you can get some expensive extra thick gaskets from summit that apparently can solve leaks.

what about copper rtv on the gaskets around the ports then tighten up the headers..I do this for all headers installs

Yeah, I was going to say get some Remflex gaskets. I'm not suggesting this in lieu of fixing whatever the actual problem if possible, but the Remflex's are extra thick (like maybe about an 1/8" or so, from memory), soft, and will comform to a little shape or bumps. There's a couple other brands that are similar, but I've only seen/used the Remflex. They are a little pricey, but if it solves the problem, or makes a good seal whether there's a problem or not, worth their weight in gold.

Yeah, I was going to say get some Remflex gaskets. I'm not suggesting this in lieu of fixing whatever the actual problem if possible, but the Remflex's are extra thick (like maybe about an 1/8" or so, from memory), soft, and will comform to a little shape or bumps. There's a couple other brands that are similar, but I've only seen/used the Remflex. They are a little pricey, but if it solves the problem, or makes a good seal whether there's a problem or not, worth their weight in gold.

Remflex or Percy gaskets should help a bunch.

What ever you do Ian, don't try and slip a piece in there, that's just gonna open up a can of worms.

The driver's side for TTIs is 3 and I (split).

Can I just replace the first 3 or should I do all 4 ?

Thanks
Ian.

I just had this issue, and it was leaking so bad it sounded like a lifter tick. Get some remflex gaskets! No sealers or anything. I put them on and no leaks, been driving with them for a few hundred miles now without a leak.

I just had this issue, and it was leaking so bad it sounded like a lifter tick. Get some remflex gaskets! No sealers or anything. I put them on and no leaks, been driving with them for a few hundred miles now without a leak.

Exactly !!

My hemi in my RAM snapped a bunch of exhaust manifold bolts ( i guess this is common) and it too sounded like a lifter problem..

Thanks
Ian.

-
Back