Header tube interference

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Well, folks, here is the issue Aaron and I have been fighting on his Duster.

2711578654_47a08f7161_o.jpg

The Dynomax headers fit in the engine bay with his new 360 tighter than a kitten's eyes. Everything around them is very close, but it all clears, except the steering column flexible coupler.

We're not interested in banging a huge dent in the side of the tube to make clearance, so we did some close checking for alignment, and it appears that the solution is a Borgeson coupler I found (5/8"-36 Chrysler spline x 3/4" smooth) - just what the doctor prescribed. We'll find out in a few days.

The coupler has a 1" outside diameter and is 2" long, just right for missing the header. A set screw with lock nut is included on the splined end. We'll look at the overall fit before deciding to use a through bolt or weld the other end to the steering shaft. In our mock-up the two shafts are in perfect alignment and there is still a little wiggle room in the floor plate on the column, if necessary for fine tuning.

Here's hoping,
Jerry

if that doesn't give the clearance your needing you might try moving the entire steering over to the drivers door. there is some adjustment under the dash also. you won't notice all that much driving your hotrod.

You're right, Bob, those plastic spacers where the column mounts under the dash lip do offer a bit of adjustment. What I am hoping is that I can keep it located where I have it mocked-up, because moving it left or right will change the centerline alignment down the axis of both shafts, which at the moment, are perfectly lined up.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Jerry

I used the flaming river coupler woked out fine
after installing it clean it off and give a liitle shot of clear
mike

Did you also use the straight coupler, or was it their U-joint? Did you weld the top end to your steering shaft, or does it have a roll pin, bolt, or set screw? Does yours have about the same amount of gap between the two shafts?

Good idea about the clear coat, I bought their less expensive steel version, rather than stainless or polished.

Jerry

-
Back