header wrap? pro's / con's

-
Does anybody have a picture of their header wrap they hate so much?
I f ur talking about me, no I don`t. I can`t seem to find the right way to post pics. Not that I`ve tried that hard !

At this point I'm all fired up and ready to go I'm just not sure if I should paint it with the silicone crap first and let it dry or just clean it wrap it and then paint the silicone crap over top of that? Only have one can so I think it probably only got enough to do one coat on each set of headers?
Of course thank you for any help!
I f ur talking about me, no I don`t. I can`t seem to find the right way to post pics. Not that I`ve tried that hard !

Only wrap headers on the White dart, because I use it for a mobile dyno. built the headers to be easy to pull, when swapping engines.
being wrapped makes plug checks less painful @ the track.

wrapped the manifold on the green dart, due to the master cylinder being so close.

to wrap the header, wrapped them while on an extra engine

010_zpstm2o1nku.jpg

SAM_3753.JPG

007.JPG

How do you use a silicone before and after or before or after or what? Thank you
Only wrap headers on the White dart, because I use it for a mobile dyno. built the headers to be easy to pull, when swapping engines.
being wrapped makes plug checks less painful @ the track.

wrapped the manifold on the green dart, due to the master cylinder being so close.

to wrap the header, wrapped them while on an extra engine

View attachment 1715116775

View attachment 1715116776

View attachment 1715116777

I wrapped my turbo J and exhaust pipe too. Worked great, mainly to protect the stupid spark plug wires and proximity to the master cylinder. Headers were not harmed when I took the wrap off. Also dampened the header noise under the hood.
Ndd-tevcP9CRyh5waf6U_uq6-q4pGA42TntNRkLeu2LI9Ke43JqsEqGKZI_bs8qcqrRLk4aQ3X55QTsQPA=w293-h220-rw

The biggest issue is not holding in heat, but holding and collecting moisture. If you are lucky enough to live in an environment where humidity rarely gets over 30%, then you don't have issues. Humidity here stays around 50% or higher, so moisture is a problem. If you don't think wrap holding moisture around your headers will make them rust, you got another thing comin. Good luck with it though.

ied that
The biggest issue is not holding in heat, but holding and collecting moisture. If you are lucky enough to live in an environment where humidity rarely gets over 30%, then you don't have issues. Humidity here stays around 50% or higher, so moisture is a problem. If you don't think wrap holding moisture around your headers will make them rust, you got another thing comin. Good luck with it though.

I`ve had wrap on 3 diff. cars headers. I have seen 100% humidity here and it not raining (was a few yrs back ), and have had wrap on 3 diff. cars, and had no rusting or cracking problems. I figure the cracking problems u guys are having is coming from cheap headers. What is this silicone spray ur talking about, never heard of it ?!? Of course there`s a lot I haven`t heard about !

When you buy these on the internet you can look it up what people's comments are and sometimes people are commenting on how they I did them and they keep talking about this spray and of course the spray pops up and some kind of silicone sealer. I think it's more of a paint that just keeps them black because it comes in colors. I thought I read where somebody was putting it on first and last but I don't have enough for that. I'm just going to wrap these puppies dry them on the heater and then paint them and put them on. I believe it's just more of the paint. People complain that they turn white after a while and this paint just turns it black again. Or at least that's my Theory. No experience of course.

ied that

I`ve had wrap on 3 diff. cars headers. I have seen 100% humidity here and it not raining (was a few yrs back ), and have had wrap on 3 diff. cars, and had no rusting or cracking problems. I figure the cracking problems u guys are having is coming from cheap headers. What is this silicone spray ur talking about, never heard of it ?!? Of course there`s a lot I haven`t heard about !

I don't blame you for not reading this thread in its entirety kind of boring but if you go back and read it you'll find that about every 7th post someone says they're going to rust out. AGAIN, these are cheap junk headers that I thought were disposable in the first place and I've actually been able to get 4 years out of them so far and they're still going. I'm cleaning up everything in the motor compartment and I just don't want to put these nasty old headers back on with some kind of drippy ugly paint.
20171201_072452.jpg

I just painted my engine bay as you can see in my thread on total reconfiguration in the racing part of the forearm and of course the stroker motor which I don't want to be 340strokes and show a ton of pictures of and then this cheap junk in between it all? I need to wrap them so they can't be seen.

Realistically the car spends 99% of its life in a climate-controlled garage and it only comes out in the summer time and it's usually "Running" so I don't think moisture would be a problem.

Pile of crap phone double post sorry
I used black header wrap to start with, then sprayed black wrap paint on them when finished, still turned white ! I wonder if mine not having rusting problems is because they were chrome to start with . I never had any of the cars running to dry the water soaked wrap, they all air dried. This last one ( 68 fastback) has a tremendous amount of under hood heat. I even put vents in beside the 6pack scoop. Like I said before, I don`t know how long they were wrapped by previous owner either! ??????????? If I ever have to pull them off, they`ll be hi heat ceramic before putting them back on, if I can afford it .

Okay third roll came from Amazon today I'll take off that little bit off the passenger side and redo it all the way down with New Black wrap. I'll post a picture of it all when it's done. I'll make sure when I get done and the car is running I'll update how it works and how much it pisses me off LOL

*WHEN you find it.

My lava rock ebay header wrap is flaking off, it has turned brittle. Did I say I hate that dam stuff ? If I decide to do something about the extra heat its going to cause, I will have to pull the dam things off, tried to repair w/ new wrap and cant even get it around the pipes, too close to the heads and valve covers. I run an extra heat shield between the no. 1 and 2 tubes w/ wrap glued to them and the valve cover, to help the raised port heads, header tubes from burning up my cover gaskets. DAMMIT RAY !

My lava rock ebay header wrap is flaking off, it has turned brittle. Did I say I hate that dam stuff ? If I decide to do something about the extra heat its going to cause, I will have to pull the dam things off, tried to repair w/ new wrap and cant even get it around the pipes, too close to the heads and valve covers. I run an extra heat shield between the no. 1 and 2 tubes w/ wrap glued to them and the valve cover, to help the raised port heads, header tubes from burning up my cover gaskets. DAMMIT RAY !
I think you mentioned you weren't a big fan of the stuff.

So I'm reading the can and the ingredients in the spray to put on these headers and one of them says unknown ingredients silicone?! May cause cancer in California? Oh boy, I'll be spraying these outside with a respirator on.

-
Back