Headers arent fitting. Power steering pump in the way. Which way do I go?

-

superslant

Reaction score
Have a 63 dart gt. Took the motor which is balanced etc... out of a 74 scamp and put it in to my 63. Motor had clifford 4bbl intake and headers. Got the motor in and doesnt look like headers are going to fit. Power steering pump is in the way. Should I put a manual steering box in the car or possibly buy a new set of headers from clifford (not sure if they clear power steering sector). I looked at the pic on their website and the new ones they have are different and have different angles from the looks of it. I have the full exhaust off the 74 also so there is benefits to swapping to the manual steering sector I think. Would save me time and money. I dont have the scamp anymore so i cant look at the differences. Pretty sure it didnt have power steering though. Thanks for any info. Its highly appreciated. :banghead:

Also anyone that has a manual steering sector for a 63 that they would sell, let me know.

There were several power steering pumps over the years. Maybe a Saginaw pump from later engines sits lower. For example, I pulled a bracket from a Volare slant that mounted both a Saginaw pump (on sub-bracket) and Sanden AC compressor. That pump sat far from the engine so shouldn't interfere. I got the bracket for AC (manual steering in my slant). That bracket could serve to support a turbo-charger later, which would look nice with your headers. Probably more Aspen/Volares in junkyards than Darts.

Manual gearboxes command a premium since more desireable. Used ones sell for $50-$100, usually w/ Pitman arm. Any A-body box thru 1972 should fit your 1963. At least they fit 64-66, but 63's might differ a little.

Two questions.
1) what style headers? the long tube or the short tube?
2) do the headers hit the pump, or the steering box, itself?
As far as I know, there are no slant six headers that will work power steering on a 60-66 "A" body with a slant six. The Clifford shorties can be made to work on a 225 engine, if you cut the front three tubes, with a "V" notch, bend the tubes to raise the collector higher, then reweld the tubes. This same fix will work with a 170 engine and a manual steering box. I don't believe it will work with a 170 and power steering. I think that would require a major rework of the front three pipes.

PS: There might have been some older model Clifford "long tube" headers that would work (would have to check the old catalog), but they haven't been made for many years.

They are the long tube style headers. I talked to "Larry" at 6=8 Clifford and made sure the headers on their website would fit a 63 dart slant six with power steering and he said they would. Here is a copy of the email -

Heck yes!

Thank you

Larry 6=8
On Feb 24, 2013, at 1:09 AM, evan orton wrote:

So they will fit a early (63) A body mopar with power steering?

I guess I will just order a new set of headers? I could maybe look for a different pump like BillGrissom talked about. Maybe that would work. I dont have access to parts cars like that though but could maybe post something on craigslist and find someone with a volare parts car or maybe ebay. Hate to go through all the trouble and have that not work either though. Whatever it takes to get her on the road this summer.

Here is the emails that I wrote to clifford.

Heck yes!

Thank you

Larry 6=8
On Feb 24, 2013, at 1:09 AM, evan orton wrote:

So they will fit a early (63) A body mopar with power steering?

To: evan orton <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: Chrysler slant six header info

Yes sir, that is what we made them for.

Great headers for your Slant Six.

Thank you

Larry 6=8

On Feb 22, 2013, at 12:04 PM, evan orton wrote:

I have a 63 dodge dart that I am looking to put headers on. I have a set currently but they do not fit
with my power steering sector. Wondering if your headers will fit with power steering and the high starter location.

thanks, Evan

I'm getting confused. Clifford no longer makes a "long tube" header for the slant six. They only have the "shorty" headers. Part number 55-0010 for the high starter. Like this: http://www.cliffordperformance.net/...Code=CP&Product_Code=55-0010&Category_Code=MY
They also have the same type header part number 55-0020 for the low starter.
The 55-0010 will NOT fit with power steering. I don't care what Larry says. The front collector hits the steering box, not the pump.
At one time Clifford had "long tube" headers for the slant six. They actually had 15 different part numbers, depending on the application. The ones that would pertain to your car would be
55-0016 60-66 Mopar compact 225 engine
55-0080 60-66 Mopar compact 170 engine
These first two are the two headers I used to use.
55-0976 60-66 Mopar compact 225 engine
55-1040 60-66 Mopar compact 225 engine
I don't know what the difference is about the last two. I can't locate my old catalog at this point, and these numbers are from an installation sheet.
To the best of my Knowledge, all of the clifford headers should clear the stock PS pump.
Clifford "long tube" headers for a 74 Scamp would be part number 55-0144. These will not fit a 63 "A" body
If you want send me a PM and I will give you my phone number, and we can talk.

Would new engine mounts, plus a shim under driver&#8217;s side mount lift engine high enough to clear power steering? I had to do this on my &#8217;67 to prevent contact of tube and gear&#8217;s adjusting bolt.

Would new engine mounts, plus a shim under driver&#8217;s side mount lift engine high enough to clear power steering? I had to do this on my &#8217;67 to prevent contact of tube and gear&#8217;s adjusting bolt.

I tried that on a 64 Valiant 225 with PS. No good, i tried a shim about 3/4 inch thick (bolt wouldn't accept a nut) with a new mount and was not enough. Had to modify the headers.

-
Back