Headers

-

Sparky

Reaction score
Need a few suggestions on headers. I know that TTI's are the best/easiest way to go for our A bodies but the price of those puppies hurt big time. Does anyone know of an alternative header that is cheaper and not a complete pain in the butt? Wishfull thinking??? :roll:

Sparky said:
Need a few suggestions on headers. I know that TTI's are the best/easiest way to go for our A bodies but the price of those puppies hurt big time. Does anyone know of an alternative header that is cheaper and not a complete pain in the butt? Wishfull thinking??? :roll:

Hate to say this, but the TTI's are the way to go. I installed a set of Hooker Super Comp's and they're HORRIBLE! They hit the steering linkage, scrap the pavement, and if you don't convert over to a mini starter, FORGET about replacing a full sized unit without disassembling the left side of the car.... There are other headers on the market, such a Hedman and Thorley, but dollar for dollar, go with the TTI's.

The Hookers cost me $365, plus a set of gaskets every few weeks because the flanges are crap.
The TTI's will set you back twice that if you go the full-on chrome, thermal coated babies. But know what? They fit, don't leak and will SAVE you coin in the long run.

Imagine buying a set of TTI's after dropping cash on a set of Hookers? Like I'm about to do...... :cry: For the money I'm spending I could have gotten a complete TTI system out to the back bumper.

Besides, it's a good selling point if you decided to move on to something else, or you can take them off and re-use on a different A body.

Good luck Sparky :thumrigh:

BTW: I like the `68 Notch. What color is that? It don't look like a factory shade :scratch:

Thanks John, the fish is the 2003 Corvette Aniversary Red. It was a special color for the 50th anivesary of the vette. It has tons of pearl and changes big time in different light. It goes from a burgundy to candy to almost brown in dull light, lotsa fun! A far as the headers go i pretty much figure that TTI is the only way but man they cost, not sure mama will smile at that idea :(

Sparky said:
A far as the headers go i pretty much figure that TTI is the only way but man they cost, not sure mama will smile at that idea :(

Stash a 20 here, a 10 there..... You'll get there.

I like the color you chose. I've seen that color on a `Vette and it IS beautiful.

I have to agree with John,Hooker's are total garbage!
I have a set of Super comps on my Scamp and i have all the same problems as he does!
But if your just looking for a cheap set right now i would go with Hedman there a decent set and not very expensive.
Summit carries them for around $100 .

"Hedman there a decent set and not very expensive."
Has anybody had any experience with the hedmen headers? Do you have to pound on them to make them fit? I guess there will always be a clearance issue.

Sparky said:
"Hedman there a decent set and not very expensive."
Has anybody had any experience with the hedmen headers? Do you have to pound on them to make them fit? I guess there will always be a clearance issue.

Yep...you have to beat Hedmans. I had to notch both the D and P side for steering linkage clearance. They also hang pretty low and are easy to scrape. I guess they are worth what you pay for them though...

This may be a dumb question but why the frig do they sell/advertise headers that are suposed to fit but don't? We don't have to beat on other parts that are supposed to fit our cars or any other car, if you did you would take them back. :scratch:

Sparky said:
This may be a dumb question but why the frig do they sell/advertise headers that are suposed to fit but don't? We don't have to beat on other parts that are supposed to fit our cars or any other car, if you did you would take them back. :scratch:

Ah yes.... truth in advertising! When the part you need is a limited availibilty issue, you take what they sell. If it requires a bang here or a bash there, it's been generally accepted as part of Hot Rodding. Mopars are at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to aftermarket accessories. The only guys who have it worst than us are the poor bastards building AMC's. But things are starting to go our way. People like Laysons, TTI, and others are fulfilling our needs with quality parts.

Hate to do this, but remember:

You get what you pay for.... :-k

i assume your talking small block headders... from everything i hear the tti's are the way to go... i have headman on my dart and they aren't dinged anywhere... they clear everything good.. the only thing is they hang low like already stated..

BARRACUDA340S said:
Dynomax fit nice and you can get the thermo coating out of summit for $2 something. They are jet hot coated.

WOW do I highly and strongly disagree with dynomax. I bought the ceramic coated for my 340 duster. They were from Jegs and $285 IIRC. I had to lift tweak and pry em in then out beat em bash em in and out 3 times untill the clearance was enough around the passenger torsion bar and the steering box and the steerling linkage underneath. They looked good after they were finally in other than the bash marks but then leaked at the flanges after about 2 weeks. Also major underneath clearance issues. Couldnt go over the smallest of speed bumps at all had to go sideways to get over.

Bought a full set of TTI's and am so glad I did. As was previouslt posted "you get what you pay for" and "add the $300 to the price of the TTI's after you decide to do it RIGHT

The hell with the headers..... we have another contender for best avatar!

Welcome to the fold rcottick! :thumrigh:

FASTBACK340 said:
The hell with the headers..... we have another contender for best avatar!

Welcome to the fold rcottick! :thumrigh:

Hahaha Thanks Fast, Just read your back post....hope its feeling better soon. Wife had major back surgery this spring and things are much better Thank goodness

Ron

Has anyone used the headers from Doug Thorley? They have the slip-joint design similar to the TTI's. I had a set with that design years ago and loved them, but I didn't know the brand name. TTI didn't exist when I bought my current set (el-cheapo Hedmans), or I would have gotten them. The only reason I have any ground clearance now is because the tubes are about flat from hitting the ground.

Here is a link where you can then link to a pic of the headers.

http://www.thorleyheaders.com/chrysler_headers.html

Has anyone tried the block hugger headers that they make for street rods? My sons driver side manifold has a crack. We aren't looking for performance gains as this car is a daily driver. Clearance for starter, oil filter, and spark plugs is more of a concern than hp gains. How hard is it to find 340 manifolds?

The huggers wont fit. the driver side will have major issues with the suspension.

340 manafolds arent that hard to fin but will cost around $350-400 a set for 68-70 hi-po ones.

I had Hedmans on my Duster when I had a small block, and all I can say is the ground clearance sucks bigtime. It's just like one or two tubes but you will smash those things on just about every damn speed bump you come across. I had to have mine patched more times than I care to remember. I'd NEVER buy those again.

Ive got some cheepies that I got for free. They look like all other small headers and hang pretty low but I havent yet smashed them. Then again my car sit pretty high up roght now.

Has anyone used the headers from Doug Thorley? They have the slip-joint design similar to the TTI's.

I've got Doug's Headers. I assumed they were the same design as the Thorleys, but maybe not. They do NOT have a slip joint, but they do install above the steering linkage so they do not have ground clearance issues.

453t.jpg

http://www.dougsheaders.com/online_store/product_detail.cfm?id=33

It depends on what you're after in a header. If it's all out performance, big tube header, then get some Heddmans in either 1 7/8" or 2" versions. I use the 1 7/8" on my Duster and I love them. If you cut the flanges where they bolt to the heads you can install them and remove them without even jacking up the car. They aren't what I would call a street header though and one tube on each side goes over the frame rail.

If it's just street performance you're after then go with the TTI's.

-
Back