headers

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
well i ordered my clifford headers today. he went and made sure he had some in stock. i asked him to check before i ordered. so hopefully i get them in a reasonable amount of time.

Now that it has been brought it up, is there much benefit to installing a header on a stock (although freshly rebuilt) 225? There would be no other modifications made to the motor.

Slant, how much were the shorties? Are they bare/coated? What comes with them?

this is what clifford claims on their website. i plan on putting a cam in it and a a brrl intake. nothing crazy, i still dont know what im gonna do about the head, i have to research that a little more.
Fittment: All 1960-87 Mopar Cars and Trucks 170/198/225 cid 2wd & 4wd with High Starter Location. Fits w/ Air conditioning, std shift or auto transmissions. Description: This is a shorty street rod header which includes the header gasket and street hookup kit. Average gains on a stock engine are 18-22% when bolting on this header. We have found great performance gains and a throaty muscle car sound when using 2 1/4" exhaust pipes and dual 3 chamber mufflers. The 3 chamber mufflers will reduce the resonation inside the cab. Want more power? Try using our X pipe (Part # 09-0250) and gain 6 to 10% more power!!!

so if a 225 is reated at 140 ish hp, that means 28 more hp(20%) from headers and a 2 1/4 " exhaust..sounds believable.... kinda...

The first mod i did to my slant when i bought it 9 years ago was a 6-1 long tube header to 2.5" backto a forty series flowmaster turned down infront of the axle. This was on a bone stock slant with the one barrel, there was alittle gain in power but i would not say 20%. It sounded alot faster thats for sure!

i have a 1976 dart with a slant six, would it be more cost efective to drop a 318 with a 4 bbl and headers in it, or to hod rod my slant six?

Depends on your goal.

As I mentioned in my post above, I am contemplating throwing some headers on a purely stock (but rebuilt) 225. My goal is purely fuel economy and a smooth running 225. Would headers be a waste of money/time or would it be beneficial? If it's deemed worthwhile, what headers & style are suggested for my application?

I think the best option for fuel economy on a slant would be to put fuel injection on it. That way proper amounts of fuel get to each cylinder which is the slants main problem with it's manifold design the front and back cylinders have the longest runners and the middle 2 have the shortest making for bad throttle response, if one goes to the trouble of drilling for fuel injectors in each runner and gets a throttle body for ether the stock intake manifold or a offenhauser,clifford etc. then you'd easily improve mileage because you would improve the way the fuel is dispersed so each cylinder gets the right amount of fuel right when it needs it. but then again it all depends what you think is worth it. I think doing the slant is worth it because you can make as much power as a small block with the right changes for probably about the same amount of money.

Depends on your goal.

my goal is a car thats fun to drive, and i would rather do the /6, but if i put a 4bbl and headers on my /6 would i also have to change out my cam and entire valve train?

my goal is a car thats fun to drive,

How much "fun" do you want to have? In other words how much power do you need in order to have fun? My fairly mild long-rod slant makes a little over 200 h.p. with a BBD 2bbl, Dutra Duals and an Erson cam. To me, it's LOT'S of fun to drive, and still knocks back 16/22 mpg. MPFI and overdrive would improve that, and a turbo would bump up the power nicely.

but if i put a 4bbl and headers on my /6 would i also have to change out my cam and entire valve train?

Nope. But in order to get the full benefits of a 4bbl and headers, yes, you'd eventually want to do a cam change (no valve train upgrades necessary). And as you raise the power level, you'd also want to upgrade the rest of the drivetrain to manage the extra power, but that's true with ANY power increase, whether you swap engines or not.

The best bang-for-buck will be a V-8 swap. But a lot of slanters aren't just worried about how fast they can go with the least amount of money. Like I said, it depends on your goal.

How much "fun" do you want to have? In other words how much power do you need in order to have fun? My fairly mild long-rod slant makes a little over 200 h.p. with a BBD 2bbl, Dutra Duals and an Erson cam. To me, it's LOT'S of fun to drive, and still knocks back 16/22 mpg. MPFI and overdrive would improve that, and a turbo would bump up the power nicely.

Nope. But in order to get the full benefits of a 4bbl and headers, yes, you'd eventually want to do a cam change (no valve train upgrades necessary). And as you raise the power level, you'd also want to upgrade the rest of the drivetrain to manage the extra power, but that's true with ANY power increase, whether you swap engines or not.

The best bang-for-buck will be a V-8 swap. But a lot of slanters aren't just worried about how fast they can go with the least amount of money. Like I said, it depends on your goal.[/quot

i love the /6 , and i think a 2 bbl headers and an aftermarket cam is what im going to aim for, what cam/headers would you suggest for a build like this? (ive seen alot of /6 headers and have heard alot of different opinions about them)

i love the /6 , and i think a 2 bbl headers and an aftermarket cam is what im going to aim for, what cam/headers would you suggest for a build like this? (ive seen alot of /6 headers and have heard alot of different opinions about them)

Well as for a cam, I'd go with one of the group buy cams from Erson (I bought mine before this was an option). These were spec'd with Doug Dutra, who knows slants better than anyone.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21400

As for headers, I'd (obviously) prefer Dutra Duals (since that's what I went with on mine) to maintain carb heat (slants ain't no V-8s).

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/exhaust-man-mods/exhaust-manifold-mods.htm

Well as for a cam, I'd go with one of the group buy cams from Erson (I bought mine before this was an option). These were spec'd with Doug Dutra, who knows slants better than anyone.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21400

As for headers, I'd (obviously) prefer Dutra Duals to maintain carb heat (slants ain't no V-8s).

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/exhaust-man-mods/exhaust-manifold-mods.htm

thank you for all the info youve given me vynn3, it has been EXTREMELY helpful

Hay vynn3, While we have you here, I have a offy 4bbl intake and I was wondering 8)my factory small pipe from the flange on a 66 170 is so small, Can I do some grinding and gasket matching and do some porting on my factory exhaust to run a 2 1/4" pipe from the flange.
390 Holley and a standard shift.
Would the 390 holley drive good with the cleaned op exhaust be fine for a driver.:clock:

Thank you for your time Mike.:happy10:

I wasn't responding to YOUR post. I was answering the question from 1976dodgedart. That's why I quoted him.

I know that you were not responding to MY post. I was playing off of your comment, "Depends on your goals" to get additional input from you (or anyone else). BTW: I know Doug Dutra very well. We use to live a few blocks apart in the South Bay and use to attend all of his Slant Six Club of America meets in Alviso for years. I just took a picture of one of his manifolds on a Valiant that a few of us FABOers saw at the Hayward Downtown Festival Car Show last Thursday (see my Vic Hubbards thread for the link).

hey ben. i just pm'd doug on the slantsix.org site. he said he has some 225 blocks if mine is too badly damaged.

Hay vynn3, While we have you here, I have a offy 4bbl intake and I was wondering 8)my factory small pipe from the flange on a 66 170 is so small, Can I do some grinding and gasket matching and do some porting on my factory exhaust to run a 2 1/4" pipe from the flange.
390 Holley and a standard shift.
Would the 390 holley drive good with the cleaned op exhaust be fine for a driver.:clock:

Thank you for your time Mike.:happy10:

Sure, I've heard of lotsa guys grinding out the exhaust flange to 2 or 2 1/4" to match a bigger downpipe. I started on that with my front Dutra manifold, but got lazy... I figured 3 into 1 instead of 6 into 1 was going to be such an improvement, what was another 1/8"?

If you enjoy doing all that grinding and understand that there probably won't be a noticable gain, knock yourself out. It's that extra effort that gives you pride in your ride. I'm just old and lazy nowadays... ;)

I also think the 390 and an Offy manifold would run fine, but understand that you won't get the full benefit of the 4bbl unless you swap to a larger cam. A 4bbl is really overkill with the stock cam. But if I already had the parts lying around, I'd bolt 'em on, too!

I know that you were not responding to MY post. I was playing off of your comment, "Depends on your goals" to get additional input from you (or anyone else). BTW: I know Doug Dutra very well. We use to live a few blocks apart in the South Bay and use to attend all of his Slant Six Club of America meets in Alviso for years. I just took a picture of one of his manifolds on a Valiant that a few of us FABOers saw at the Hayward Downtown Festival Car Show last Thursday (see my Vic Hubbards thread for the link).

Sorry if I came off rude - my bad. No, I thought the other guys pretty much covered your question, and I had nothing else to add.

I'm jealous of your proximity to Doug! Not many folks with slants around here, and certainly no one with his expertise.

Best of luck!

-
Back