Headlamp switch new multi-wire connector FOUND

-
Reaction score
From time to time people ask me where to get this. Up to now it's been "Sorry, donno". Now it's available in good heavy-duty quality, mis-listed as a "headlight switch"—without a photo, so here's that image:

HP4195_Headlamp_Switch_Connector.jpg

So, where do you get this? :D

I assume you sell these now?

Hummmmmm! Standard Motor Parts. They used to be a cheaper line of electrical parts back then. It seems they are doing better. (than NAPA brand, Echlin)

No, it only fits a '77 Oldsmobile Cutlass, is why I posted it here. (Yes, it fits our cars, is why I posted it here!)

Easy there Captain Happy, I just asked because that Standard Motor Products # when searched, seems to be for a whole lot of other cars. Just asking.

Hummmmmm! Standard Motor Parts. They used to be a cheaper line of electrical parts back then. It seems they are doing better. (than NAPA brand, Echlin)

Standard used to put out two lines of ignition parts: Standard (OE-quality, good stuff) and Blue Streak (premium quality, great stuff). About 13 years ago they bought Echlin. About 4 years ago they pissed away many decades of brand equity a few years ago by deleting Blue Streak; some Standard parts got upgraded (to one degree or another); others didn't. At the same time they introduced a "Tru-Tech" line of cheap (oops, scuze me, "value priced") garbage from China.

None of that name game applies to pigtails, sockets, and connectors such as this one, but this particular connector can also be had in a light-duty version for five or six bucks more (not a typo).

Standard used to put out two lines of ignition parts: Standard (OE-quality, good stuff) and Blue Streak (premium quality, great stuff). About 13 years ago they bought Echlin. About 4 years ago they pissed away many decades of brand equity a few years ago by deleting Blue Streak; some Standard parts got upgraded (to one degree or another); others didn't. At the same time they introduced a "Tru-Tech" line of cheap (oops, scuze me, "value priced") garbage from China.

None of that name game applies to pigtails, sockets, and connectors such as this one, but this particular connector can also be had in a light-duty version for five or six bucks more (not a typo).
Value priced, I like that. We had Filko at the parts store back in the 70's. Always top notch.

That connector looks very close to my 1967 Barracuda one, but the parts that hook to the light switch itself is different. I've searched the web and can't seem to find one. It's odd the '67 one is a bit different. I guess worst case I could probably order the one you posted and then put in the 68 light switch to match.

I don't think I can do that. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the headlight switch, but I don't think I could, y'know, bow about it.

(new headlamp switches are easy—RockAuto, Amazon, or old-stock US-made from Old Car Parts Northwest)

i found one at vato-zone on the shelf. i couldnt believe it but they had one in the store for my car.

Easy there Captain Happy, I just asked because that Standard Motor Products # when searched, seems to be for a whole lot of other cars. Just asking.
Actually, this does not fit your 68 Barracuda. This part is a 9 pin plug and yours is a 7 pin plug. Ask me how I knows this...

So, folks, be sure that your part is the same pins as this else it won't fit.
Now to try and find the 7 pin connector...

From time to time people ask me where to get this. Up to now it's been "Sorry, donno". Now it's available in good heavy-duty quality, mis-listed as a "headlight switch"—without a photo, so here's that image:

View attachment 1715192363
I recently ordered one of these and it did not fit my 71 Duster. So I returned it. I then found this thread and reordered this same product. I know that is ten ways of dumb. But I did not see the white plastic part on the top of the connector

I recently ordered one of these and it did not fit my 71 Duster. So I returned it. I then found this thread and reordered this same product. I know that is ten ways of dumb. But I did not see the white plastic part on the top of the connector
You ordered hp 4195, right? Should look like slantsixdan's posted pic. The white part is like a cap that helps hold the wires in. If your part had it, you couldn't miss it so I suspect your part is different.
I had to mod mine by cutting 2 pins off. Post a pic of yours.

You ordered hp 4195, right? Should look like slantsixdan's posted pic. The white part is like a cap that helps hold the wires in. If your part had it, you couldn't miss it so I suspect your part is different.
I had to mod mine by cutting 2 pins off. Post a pic of yours.
If this next one does not work, I will post pix.

Yes it was a 4195. I have the invoice in front of me. The is a chance they sent the wrong connector, but I did not think of that at the time. I ordered it from RockAuto

Someone please tell me how this connector goes on this headlight switch

20180817_160018.jpg

20180817_160041.jpg

-
Back