Headlight flash on and off by themselves

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Okay, I saw a thread with a different issue that evolved into my exact problem and the thought was a new headlight switch would fix it. I have a new switch and am going to change it, but here is what I have and what I noticed. Also, just for the record, I am running Hella Vision Plus conversion headlights with 60w low and 55w high beam. My brother suggested a relay system ... what does everyone think?

I drive home at about 3am. These lights are freakin' awesome. I usually use my high beams most of the way. About halfway into my trip the lights will go completely off for a second, then on, and continue to flash. I kick into low and it will stop for a while, then start again. I always assumed something was overheating. Then, in a fit of genius (well, okay, maybe not genius) I drove home with just the low beams one night and had no issues. I already replaced the high beam switch.

I have to believe it is too much power for something, likely the switch. Is there a relay set up somewhere that I can install that will help, or do I need to wire my own? And would that help? My brother keeps telling me that all the Mopars have lights that get brighter upon higher revs and the guys that fix it properly use relays on all the electronics. Sounds like a pain in the *** to me. Any help would be great!

Listen to your Bro:thumblef:

If you saw his Cuda, you might not be so quick to say that! :) I usually defer to him when it comes to Mopar questions. I guess I need to know what the benefits are, and is there a kit or do I need to wire in a relay for each electrical source I want to run them on?

My headlights also do the same thing. I have the newer high intensity aftermarket lights that have the old style plugs on them. I have replaced both the switch and hi/low floor switch and the lights still flash on and off. I can turn em on and they will stay on for sometimes 15-20 mins and the flashing starts. It does not make a difference either high or low setting, they still blink. I am going to change back to the old style glass headlights.I thought about relays but i believe it would be a pain in the *** to have to wire them in.

My headlights also do the same thing. I have the newer high intensity aftermarket lights that have the old style plugs on them. I have replaced both the switch and hi/low floor switch and the lights still flash on and off. I can turn em on and they will stay on for sometimes 15-20 mins and the flashing starts. It does not make a difference either high or low setting, they still blink. I am going to change back to the old style glass headlights.I thought about relays but i believe it would be a pain in the *** to have to wire them in.

Wiring is not so bad. I actually enjoy it. If it comes down to that I will let you know if it works and how long it took. I am not changing back. There are way too many deer on the road when I drive home. It's mid summer and I dodge four or five every night. I drive slower when I drive the Dart, and now with 4.10 gears, I will have no choice but to slow down.

THE DIMMER SWITCH DOES NOT CAUSE THIS. Virtually all headlight switches on "old school" U.S. made vehicles have a BUILT IN automatic reset breaker. In fact, headlight power is NOT fused on Mopars before it gets to the headlight switch.

It is probably a combination of a weak breaker and over-wattage lamps.

YOU NEED RELAYS

Exactly what 67Dart273 said......

Check with M.A.D. Enterprizes for headlight relay kit (RLY-1), 2each
website madelectrical
good guy, mopar friendly

-
Back