Headlight / Relay Kit Issue

-

72Valiant4Door

Trouble Maker
Reaction score
This is in relation to my installation of the standard crackedback relay kit.

I am having a problem where my driver side headlamp stays on as long as EITHER relay is plugged in, regardless of the switch position (or even if the light switch is unplugged), key in or off.

I checked all 3 grounds (each headlamp and the relay block), the two power wires are ran to my SINGLE WIRE alternator. The trigger wire is plugged into my original, uncut passenger light plug.

both of the fuses are receiving power and are in good condition... I am using new dual 87 relays, which i have checked if they work, in either of the two relay blocks.

I am sure the issue is something simple... I am a pretty big moron, but it has everyone else stumped too.

Check your grounds REALLY well. That is a classic ground issue.

Use a wire and ground them directly to Batt - and see if anything changes. Disconnect the grounds from the current locations and direct ground them, see if that change the situation.

You could also test light the relay blocks with relays removed. Probe the opening with the orange and purple 16 ga wire. With switch off, there should be no power there. With low the purple should be hot, orange will be hot when in high beam mode. It's not a trigger issue from what you describe, both lights would be on, see next paragragh.

Only one headlight staying on is inconsistent with the design of my system. Each headlight has a dedicated wire for both high and low operation. If one side was on, the other should be on as the wires are fed from same relay for hi or low mode.

Last edited:
EVERY single problem I had with my relay kit all came back to grounds....

Jeff

-
Back