Headlight upgrades?

-

OriginalDart

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my headlights in my 69 dart. I was thinking maybe some slick HID's and at least something brighter than my stock lamps. I'm looking for advice on how far I can go with this and how many aftermarket options are available. I'm not too experienced with upgrading headlights on mopars

-TheOriginalDart

There are lots of way to go wrong here -- most of what's on the market in headlamp "upgrades" is junk, illegal, dangerous, or all three. See this post and this one. Also see articles on Allpar (with lousy photos but sound info) here and here.

Nutshell version: Put in relays. If you need to stick to a tight budget, the only sealed beams worth driving at night with are the GE Night Hawk items, which are very far preferable to any other sealed beams. If you're thinking of upgrading to replaceable-bulb headlamps, shop very carefully because most of what's on the market is garbage, and even if you disregard the off-brand trash all over the internet and look only at reputable-brand lamps (Hella, Cibie, Bosch, Koito), the range of performance among them is very large.

There are no good, safe, legal, cost-effective HID headlamps currently manufactured in the 7" round size format since these have apparently been discontinued.

"HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps (any kit, any headlamp, any vehicle -- no matter whether the "HID kit" and the headlight units are sold together or separately) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See here.

There are a couple of 7" round LED headlamps on the market. The new one just released from Truck-Lite costs around $600/pair and they're better (they could only have been better) than Truck-Lite's first try at it, which was a headlamp very difficult for me to recommend. I'm hoping they continue to work towards improvement on this product. They appear well made of good quality materials, but oddly they are designed to the old sealed-beam performance standard rather than the newer VOA standard. The one from JW Speaker is quite a good performer in terms of beam focus, reach and width, designed to the newer photometrics, and it is well made (in America) of good quality materials. Spendy, though, around $400 to $500 each.

Whatever headlamps you wind up with must be aimed correctly.

(Other posts to see: this one and this one)

Nice write up.You failed the cam question ,a while back.Fishy 68 ,still has a standing question.

Nice write up.

Thanks. When I know what I'm talking about I share my knowledge. When I don't know what I'm talking about I try to keep my mouth shut.

You failed the cam question ,a while back.Fishy 68 ,still has a standing question.

I have no idea what cam question you have in mind; I don't recall ever discussing cams with Fishy68. I do see where he disagrees with my preferences in ignition upgrades, but they make different flavours of ice cream, too, for the same reason: different people have different preferences. He chimed in on this thread, which is nice, I guess, and it looks as if he and I have a pretty good history of civil and helpful interaction on this board. Maybe you're confusing me with someone else? Don't know.

I do know this thread is about headlamps. It's rude to hijack threads. Back to headlamps.

Not to hi Jack but Dan your hei ignition idea was the best upgrade I've done on my car and cheap too.

Dan, you should keep your answers stored in a file, and then cut and paste every time someone decides to not use the search button!! I can't wait to try some of your electrical mods. Always good info in your posts.

Thanks, Brian. I do actually have a fair number of the most common answers on hot keys so with three or four keystrokes I can paste in the text and links.

I installed GE Night Hawk headlights a while back (as per Dan's advice). The cost is very reasonable and the results are good. The current draw is minimal compared to stock headlamps so I also did not have to upgrade the alternator either.

I have a Daniel Stern relay wiring system for my lights, and Hella conversion headlights that run an H4 bulb. Daniel Stern doesn't like Hella too much, but I have used them for 30 years and love the bright white light and the pattern the light throws. I can see extremely well at night.

The Hella lamps are well made of good quality materials. It's just that they're not very efficient. You get strong light on the road surface close to the car, but not much seeing distance. I also don't like the excessive vertical distance between the low beam focus (hot spot) and the high beam focus; it means if the low beams are set correctly the high beams are too high, and if the high beams are set correctly the low beams are too low. But they're definitely not even close to the worst headlamps on the road!

-
Back