Headliner Installation '72 Duster

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Not that I'm at that point yet, but I hear that this is really a *****. The PO took the original out along with the rest of the interior, so I have no idea how this is done. So, on with the questions:

1. Is there a difference between a headliner from a '71 vs. a '72?

2. Can the headliner be put in after a roll cage is fitted or does/should it be done before?

3. Is the headliner installed before any of the other trim panels like the sail panels are installed?

4. Am I better off farming this out to someone who knows WTF their doing? lol.

My knowledge of interior/upolstery work is limited so please keep the flames down to a dull roar. :-D Oh yeah, it appears that the PO left me the headliner bows.

Bump! Come on, someone here must have installed their headliner on a 72 Duster.

My 72 was cardboard lol.. If yours has the bows, I know there are possibly two variations (based on #s of bows). Yes, Headliner before salipanels. As far as rollbar, not sure, but I think I would put headliner in first. All glass out.

Since its a 72, you could use the repro one people have mentioned here recently thats plastic and be correct. Material is bitchy because it rips easily, and the wrinkles are there.. if you can leave it opened, and steam it, and leave it some more, it can be done... but you need patience (and with the 35 minutes you gave before the BUMPER, that may not be your strong suit lol..)

Grant

oops.. I still musta had water in my eyes from a cold shower I just took lol.. couldn't read the date...

Bumpy

My 72 was cardboard lol.. If yours has the bows, I know there are possibly two variations (based on #s of bows). Yes, Headliner before salipanels. As far as rollbar, not sure, but I think I would put headliner in first. All glass out.

Since its a 72, you could use the repro one people have mentioned here recently thats plastic and be correct. Material is bitchy because it rips easily, and the wrinkles are there.. if you can leave it opened, and steam it, and leave it some more, it can be done... but you need patience (and with the 35 minutes you gave before the BUMPER, that may not be your strong suit lol..)

Grant

Thanks Grant,

No, I have no patience when it comes to any material other than metal. I understand metal and why it does what it does. I don't understand cloth, it's like woman. It gets all bent out of shape and wrinkled for no apparent reason and no amount of coersion from any angle will make it right, lol! I don't even like folding my clothes, I just hang my T-shirts.

So, all the glass has be out first? Crap, I wasn't planning on replacing any as all the glass is good. Not even a chip in the windshield. I could just farm that out pretty easy I guess, just call up the glass guys and have them come over to yank the glass in one piece.

I'll count the bows when I get home. They were in the trunk so I can't even garauntee they came out this car. Aren't someone else's old project great to work on? lol! Plastic headliner? Tell me more. I just might be able to pull that one off. Does it look like total dogshit? Got a link, pictures?

Thanks again!

come on give ramcharger a break...he did wait...a whole day!

Imagine what a PITA I would be if I actually had the car in the garage, lol!

I took my cardboard on out without the glass out.. AFA glass out, theres these damn little pointy shards of metal that the material headliner attaches to . I'm pretty sure that it cant be done. I am pretty sure it would make attaching the material impossible.. I have always had glass out, and been lucky.

I haven't reinstalled the cardboard, but I THINK it slips under the window gasket, side trim, sails.

Will take a better look - brain fart

Grant

I took my cardboard on out without the glass out.. AFA glass out, theres these damn little pointy shards of metal that the material headliner attaches to . I'm pretty sure that it cant be done. I am pretty sure it would make attaching the material impossible.. I have always had glass out, and been lucky.

I haven't reinstalled the cardboard, but I THINK it slips under the window gasket, side trim, sails.

Will take a better look - brain fart

Grant

Thanks brother, I do appreciate it. I've got 6 bows BTW.

Joe

I am 20' from my cardboard headliner lol, but my wife took my camera today, and she isn't home yet..

Give me a minute and I'll draw something up to tide you over til can take pics..

Grant

oops.. I still musta had water in my eyes from a cold shower I just took lol.. couldn't read the date...

Bumpy

Must've been checking out that "New Chick #2" Thread, lol! You've got to see the last chick Dfnsmn posted, holy canoli.

Here's a rough sketch to tide you over til I can throw up pics.. HTH

headliner.JPG

Ok. . . . . But that's like the difference between a stick figure woman and a color pic, LMAO!

I gotta stop looking at that sketch. i can't stop laughing at it, tho it seems accurate. LOL I'm pretty sure they could use it in the TECH forum. somebody should post this over there.

No real difference between the roof of a 71 & 72, though some 72s had a pressboard headliner. Some of the cloth roofs had five bows others six.

Like many who have already responded, I don't think I have what it takes to install a fabric headliner. The ABS repops don't seem too bad. You will need sail panels, though.

The Demon has a six bow cloth roof that I farmed out. I had considered the one piece route and had made sail panels from artist board. If you need a pattern, send me a PM.

Here's some nice dusty headliner pics.. No bows required, and is held in place by the windshield gasket and asstd trim pieces.

hl1.jpg

hl2frnt.jpg

hl3rear.jpg

hl3side.jpg

hl3topleft.jpg

No real difference between the roof of a 71 & 72, though some 72s had a pressboard headliner. Some of the cloth roofs had five bows others six.

Like many who have already responded, I don't think I have what it takes to install a fabric headliner. The ABS repops don't seem too bad. You will need sail panels, though.

The Demon has a six bow cloth roof that I farmed out. I had considered the one piece route and had made sail panels from artist board. If you need a pattern, send me a PM.

Thanks '72! I believe that Dante's has the sailboards too so I'll probaably go that route. I remember watching Boyd's show on the discovery channel and was amazed by the guys at the interior shop they sent all their cars too. They made this stuff look so easy.

Here's some nice dusty headliner pics.. No bows required, and is held in place by the windshield gasket and asstd trim pieces.

Excellent! That's exactly what I needed to know. :cheers:

Just did one in a 1969 Dart. B@#TCH of a job. Farm it out. It took me days and I'm not happy with the job I did.

Hey just wondering, i have a 72 Demon with cardboard and i am putting a 6 bow fabric liner in the car, should the bows just clip in place...or will i have to modified to make it fit

Hey just wondering, i have a 72 Demon with cardboard and i am putting a 6 bow fabric liner in the car, should the bows just clip in place...or will i have to modified to make it fit

There are little metal clips that are V shaped that the metal bows fit into. They are available if your car doesn't have them. My 67 had a cardboard headliner, but had the clips already installed??

I am farming out the cloth headliner on both of my cars. My local interior guy charges $150 labor and no, the glass does not have to be out to install either type of headliner.

Just did the one in my 71 Dart. It came out ok. Not to bad of a job with the glass out. The sale panels are the worse part and I have a few wrinkle but at least I saved some cash doing it and once Im driving the car I'll forget about the small things, LOL

-
Back