Heat Soaked Starter

-

scott657

Reaction score
68 Valiant 360, Dougs Headers, new mini
Car starts easily when cold, when hot it labors like the battery is dead.
The headers are not wrapped, but Im thinking about it in the immediate vicinity of the starter. What are you folks doing for this problem
THANKS

First off check all of the cables and make sure you have a good ground. And what about too much timing?

found some suspect wires I thought were tight. I gotta work this weekend so Ill address it next week.
Thanks HR

If you don't want to wrap your headers, you can bend up a piece of Aluminum and use it as a heat shield. We did that on a fiends 67 Cougar. After driving it for a bit, the master cylinder would get hot and lock up the brakes. Best time was when we were at the car wash and couldn't get out because the tires were wet. Had to "Dry" them off to get out. Used a piece of Aluminum you can pick up at Home Depot.

If you don't want to wrap your headers, you can bend up a piece of Aluminum and use it as a heat shield. We did that on a fiends 67 Cougar. After driving it for a bit, the master cylinder would get hot and lock up the brakes. Best time was when we were at the car wash and couldn't get out because the tires were wet. Had to "Dry" them off to get out. Used a piece of Aluminum you can pick up at Home Depot.
I always wrap the starter on any headered vehicle right off the bat. Wrap headser in the aprximity of the starter if not coated. Your timing can contribute to that too.

-
Back