Heater Cable Lubrication?

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
I'm about to take apart my heater and vent boxes. My cables take major effort to move. Has anyone had any success lubricating them and if so, how?

I would use some liquid graphite lube, but never had to deal with that issue. Some WD-40 might due the trick as well!

Since you are removing most of it anyway also remove the cables. Let them hang vertically and use something like PB Blaster . Let it run down the cable with as much going into the housing as possible while working the cable. This will help to wash out loosened rust/dirt out of the cable housing .
Yote

I just did my heater box and was having the same problem . I got some pb blaster and soaked them. Then got some more pb blaster and spray white lithium grease alternating a burst of each until the moved like new. FYI the heater box rebuild kit i got from Detroit Muscle Technologies is top notch and i would reccomend them to anyone.

There's a few methods.

You can cut the corner off a ziplock bag and rubber band it to the end of the cable to make a little funnel. Then fill it up with cable lube and just work the cable back and forth until it comes out the other end.

They sell cable lubers for dirt bike cables. I imagine they'd work for heater cables as well. You put it on and just spray lube into it and it comes out the other end.

There's another method that I can't remember exactly. I believe you put a piece of hose over the end of the heater cable and use a hose clamp to clamp it down. Then fill it with lube, place an air nozzle in there, cover up around the nozzle so nothing comes flying back out and just blow it through the cable.

Get a cable lube tool. They are cheap and readily available at ATV/dirt bike shops. I bought one to use on my 4 wheeler but I've used it several times on cars and my kids bikes also!

35-0108.jpg

Found a youtube video, gives you an idea.

-
Back