Hedman 78500

-

scott657

Reaction score
Im looking into a set of these for my 68 Valiant project(360 LA), I will run manual steering and a mini starter. I know some of you have used these. I would like to know how it went in AND what parts did you use to finish off the exhaust system after the headers. I would like to go right out the back. Also what mini starter works best.
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
I run them, but to be perfectly honest, if I were to do it over again, I'd get some quality headers like tti or dougs. They fit OK with a factory dakota mini starter from the local parts store. If you want it to fit above the steering linkages (which tucks nicely), get some mandrel bent "U" sections from columbia river mandrel bending. 2.5" fits, but it's really snug and won't fit a non-mini starter. I also bought an X pipe and exhaust kit from Summit, both 2.5". After all was said and done, I probably dropped close to $1K...

here's a few pics

scamp exh03.jpg

scamp exh05.jpg

scamp exh02.jpg

scamp exh06.jpg

scamp header 2.jpg

scamp header.jpg

scamp exh11.jpg

scamp starter.jpg

scamp exh10.jpg

Do you mean 78050. I had hooker 5901 on Hookers my 68 dart. Fit perfect no dings any where but I hit a huge rock and smashed a tube. So I bought the hedmans. Had to beat the hell out of 1 tube that hit the bolt holding the steering box on. Then had to almost cut the whole head of that bolt to get 1/8 in. clearance. Hookers had thicker flanges and tubing was thicker to. I know all cars are different but this is my experience. Also had to shim the drivers side mount so the header wouldn't ride on the steering column. My next pair will be tti or dougs. Should have spent the cash the first time on good headers above the steering arm.

Sorry didn't answer your question. I used summit racing dual exhaust kit 2.5 in. Bolted right up to the hookers with a little finessing. They have a 2 piece tail pipe that I welded together to get rid of the clamp. that's my only complaint. Jegs kit says its made to fit the competition hookers. 5901

I may bite the bullet and go with the dougs D453-R there seem to be more positives on these

I may bite the bullet and go with the dougs D453-R there seem to be more positives on these

You'll find just as many opinions on which one's better between doug's or tti as you will leaves on a tree. If I could guess, either one of them would be a quality piece and subject to some massaging to fit.

They won't ship them to CA? Wow--will the nonsense never stop...

I just bought a set of Hedman 78050. I have stripped and painted with VHT paint. So now Im thinking of getting them ceramic coated. A place in the Toronto area can do this. My car is a 71 Demon 340. The car has manual steering, brakes. Does anyone know how the 78050 fit ? Do any of the pipes needed to be bent to get them to fit. I dont imagine the ceramic coating will do well if hit with a hammer. Thanks

-
Back