HEI Install... Resistor & ECU Bypass. HELP!

-

72Valiant4Door

Trouble Maker
Reaction score
I am wiring up my two wire HEI distributor and MSD Blaster coil.

I cut the blue ECU out, and removed the Ballast Resistor.

I was looking for some guidance on how you all wired everything up and capped everything off. The engine is having issues starting, and want to make sure I am running everything correctly.

I am kind of following this thread... Bypassing ballast resistor

But I am also running a trunk relocation with ford selenoid to mopar starter relay, fyi.

Any guidance is appreciated

The resistor is easy thake the two wires that supply the power and join them together and you will get 12v at the start and run position.

View the gazillion posts on HEI conversion.
Lost you on the Ford solenoid. Chrysler starters have an integral solenoid, so why would you need that? If you want to change the Mopar starter relay, any standard auto 30 A relay works, which is what they use in later vehicles. Just wire the NSS in the coil- leg (pin 85 usually).

The Ford wiring should have nothing to do at all with the ballast. Basically you unwrap and cut out "all the stuff" that goes to the ECU connector. You may or may not wish to remove the original coil + wire, but you will need a functional replacement. "Everything left" needs to be spliced together

I have no idea how you are wiring up a Ford solenoid. Be careful. You can get yourself into a situation with no neutral safety switch.

The resistor is easy take the two wires that supply the power and join them together and you will get 12v at the start and run position.

once they are connected...run a wire from the two connected wires to the hot side of the coil.....connect positive wire from distributor to + coil...negative side of distributor to - side of coil...

once they are connected...run a wire from the two connected wires to the hot side of the coil.....connect positive wire from distributor to + coil...negative side of distributor to - side of coil...

And that's that. :D
If you still have starting problems and the voltage to the coil and distributor is good you can start looking for other reasons.

I rewired a 88 dodge d250 under the hood...got rid of tbi and computer...used two wire hei distributor and e coil...simple...but I used a relay to supply the voltage to the coil that is actuated by the starter relay switch....

I am running the trunk relocation and ammeter bypass as guided by crackedback.

There is a lot of differing information on the various wiring threads, so i figured i should start my own.

I am running the trunk relocation and ammeter bypass as guided by crackedback.

There is a lot of differing information on the various wiring threads, so i figured i should start my own.

Well that's perfectly fine, but without photos and or clear precise explanation of what exactly you are doing, it's impossible to do anything except generalize.

-
Back