HEI question - Does this look right to you?

-

AValiant69

Reaction score
I recently changed from points to HEI in my 69 Valiant and I had some issues with timing. I wanted to get some input on how everything is hooked up particularly with regard to the polarity of the coil. I've heard that connecting the coil polarity wrong could have adverse effects on timing. My timing is currently 20-30 BTDC which compared to the 5 BTDC I had with the points is troubling.

Pics here: https://goo.gl/photos/mpTe7uaSNdXbyL5h6

I've also heard that you can set timing by finding max vacuum. As I don't have a reliable Tach I was wondering if that was true?

Colors on the dist. pickkup vary, but they MUST be correct. "I go by" the original connector "bare" terminal, as in this diagram.......

attachment.php

Also, you must connect IGN1 and IGN2 together, IE jumper all wires on the original ballast together.

IGN1, usually blue is "ignition run." This is NOT hot in "start"

The only source for ignition curing cranking is IGN2, the brown wire, which came from a contact on the ign switch, through the bulkhead, to the coil + end of the ballast, and supplies "hot" voltage to the coil in cranking

If the pickup wires are reversed, your timing will be way off AND "rotor phasing" (Google it) will be way way off

https://www.google.com/search?newwi...6.0....0...1c.1.64.img..1.20.1311.WpUQ6TMHpJ0

I can't see your photos from work. One way to verify polarity on the pickup is to flash the timing light at the distributor reluctor wheel and see if it flashes when the teeth align w/ the pickup. This is with cap off and connect coil HV lead thru a spark tester (or just short it to block). Easier if you remove the distributor and spin by hand.

I would think 10 deg BTDC would be good about right. My 69 Dart 225 used to idle faster at >20 deg advance, though I set it at the book value. I think the carb was running lean (actually 3 Holley 1920's, 4th one ran great) and it always stumbled at idle. An O2 sensor would tell everything.

What everyone is trying to say is to swap the two wires off the distributor to the HEI unit and see if that straightens it out, :D

The polarity of the coil need to be right, but the polarity of the reluctor wires to the HEI unit is critical.

:sign12:You sure it's not just those electrons swimming faster at the full 12 volts and getting there early?:sign12::sign12::sign12:

Sorry, had to do it! :twisted:

:sign12:You sure it's not just those electrons swimming faster at the full 12 volts and getting there early?:sign12::sign12::sign12:

Sorry, had to do it! :twisted:

Come on, even newbies know it's because the wires are shorter so it takes less time for the 12 volts to get there. LOL

I'm old enough to remember when we didn't have to worry about this sort of thing, LOL. We used to worry about "who made the best points, Echlin gold or Blue Streak or (later) Accel? I can remember when there WAS NO Accel, and now, there isn't, again.

:glasses7:wow, i will take the time this weekend to take ALL the slack out of any wires i have to help my electrical system perform to its top most potential... thanks for the electronics class and edumacation.....:glasses7::glasses7::glasses7:

I'm old enough to remember when we didn't have to worry about this sort of thing, LOL. We used to worry about "who made the best points, Echlin gold or Blue Streak or (later) Accel? I can remember when there WAS NO Accel, and now, there isn't, again.

woweeee thanks for reminding me of my age.... blue streak, my favorite, have not heard that word in a long time while...

Wouldn't it been nice if the topicstarter would've posted a reaction again in his topic orso...
If only to thank those two brown streak guys here... :D

-
Back