Hello!

-

Thanos

Reaction score
Been using the forum for a month now and finally decided to join up.
Well way back in 1986 I was 17 an bought a 1970 Duster, it was blue (repainted), had a slant 6, Vector rims, B&M shifter, bucket seats and was $100. All it needed to get going was a transmission which was easy to get from the local yard for $75. Armed with a old Chilton manual my dad got somehow I embarked on a 10 year journey that got me thru high school an college. Over the years added new suspension/ steering, BFG's 225/60/14 up front 255/50/14 on rears with no mods other than lifting the rear. New valves and hardened seats, Y split exhaust with mean sounding Flowmasters... I had other cars in its time but would always go back to it as it was dependable. I sold the car in 1996 as I just didn't have a place for it anymore and always regretted it.
Last month I came across a 1971 Demon in Butterscotch. I agonized over it. I tried to forget it. I begged my wife to at least look at it.... Then I found myself in a position to buy it. Haggled it down to a reasonable price. Then drove it home about 50 miles.
I tore into it with a particular order in mind. I learned it had a slant 6 but was replaced with a 318 bored .30 over with Eliminator intake, Edelbrock 4bbl, a Carter electric fuel pump, front disk brakes, new fuel tank and sending unit. Runs great but on the way home I discovered many problems. The most notable was the gauges didn't work and it had problems shifting into 2nd gear. So I ran out of gas and found the spring to the kick down was missing. Got gas, rigged a spring and got going again, leaking gas all over as the overflow lines were all rotten. Backfiring on de-accelerate the whole way. Ha! During this I found out the door locks didn't work with the ignition key. I had to use a coat hanger to get back in. But I was determined to get this baby home!
So far I have gone thru the electrical and put it back into original order upgrading the regulator in the dash to solid state with LED's, ripped out and rehabbed the A/C-Heater boxes (all A/C missing but the interior core along with the vacuum lines, heater vacuum switch and the manifold vacuum tree, oh the whole vent system was PACKED with leafs!) and gotten the heater/ vent doors to work properly. Tune up, carb rebuild, oil/ all new filters, new firewall gaskets, found the leak in the exhaust, new shocks and lift kit, replaced the fuel vent hoses, alternator, belts (then I found the PSP leaking) tore out wipers and motor, got it all working. It had some aftermarket gauges (water, oil volts and tach) all wired wrong, set that right, got speedometer working.
I think the guy I got the car from didn't really know much about it. It looked as if someone had taken the time to rebuild the car, I'd say maybe less than 10 years ago. Too many newer looking things like the door and window gaskets, door pins, and rear floor pans. When I took out the plastic glove box I found many things (among them were pieces of the original paper glove box) caught up in the dash like a emissions test from North Carolina in 1996 that showed it still had a 6 then. I know the guy got the car around 2012 and I think he just parked it (under a tree!). The title said he had a lien against the car that was satisfied when I bought it.
Anyhow everybody loves it. Every time I open the garage door to work on it someone wants to stop by and ask about it. This weekend I'll be going thru the brake system. Just going to replace everything and flush as fluid looks old. Also on my list is rebuilding the front end, a new driver side pan (not terrible but going to do it as I have a new carpet kit) and I guess a rebuild or replace of power steering pump. Have some minor rust issues around trunk lip (gasket it really bad), service rear end, undercoat and see if I can paint this up better. Gonna keep it original paint. The butterscotch has really grown on me. If I cant do a good job I'm willing to pay. Other things for the future are getting the door locks to a locksmith, finish painting the engine and compartment, "Mopar Power" valve covers and air filter, relay upgrades for electrical system, "Halo" headlights, Grant "Tuff" steering wheel, find some seat belts for the rear seat...they are just gone, "Demon" fender badges and putting an A/C back in. Oh trying to find a old looking modern stereo, lots for Ford and Chevy but Dodge seems to be lacking.
With my Chilton book long gone I'll be depending on you, my fellow A-body lovers, for advice. I do have a background in electronics, albeit micro circuitry, and my father was a metal fabricator who did take the time to school me in the art, even tho I never made it past apprentice (I got fired from my first and only job at it :eek:ops:). I can wield, braze, paint (somewhat) and have the beginnings of a small machine shop in my garage (thanks dad!). So any way I can help please ask.

Hello from Minnesota. That's quite a bit of work for a month or two! Sounds like you are well on your way to getting all those little things fixed.

Welcome from Pennsylvania - Currently in Inverness, Florida area.

Thanks everybody an HAPPY NEW YEAR! Yeah I did get crazy after getting it home. Wife put me on a monthly budget now so I have to slow down the parts gathering. But I'd been putting in 8-10 hours, on days off, at a time working on it. I figure it'll be another 2 months before I can finish the brakes and frontend. I'm just really happy this car wasn't as molested as others I had looked at.

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 88
-
Back