HELP! 11.75" Disc Conversion - Bearings, Seals Etc

-

dusterdan

Sublime Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps! So I just went into autozone and said I have a 77 Gran Fury with a 440 to get:
inner wheel bearings
outer wheel bearings
wheel seals
calipers

I'm doing the 11.75" upgrade on my duster....did I screw up by not telling them the right vehicle? I noticed 72blunblu posted a comprehensive vehicle list to use 11.75" parts from but my imaginary 77 gran fury isn't on it:(

CHRYSLER CORDOBA(1976 - 1979)
CHRYSLER NEW YORKER(1979 - 1981)
CHRYSLER NEWPORT(1979 - 1981)
DODGE CHARGER 1976
DODGE CHARGER SPECIAL EDITION(1976 - 1978 )
DODGE CHARGER SPORT1976DODGECORONET(1975 - 1976)
DODGE CORONET BROUGHAM(1975 - 1976)
DODGE CORONET CRESTWOOD(1975 - 1976)
DODGE CORONET CUSTOM 1975
DODGE MAGNUM XE 1979
DODGE MONACO(1977 - 1978 )
DODGE MONACO BROUGHAM(1977 - 1978 )
DODGE MONACO CRESTWOOD(1977 - 1978 )
DODGE ST. REGIS(1979 - 1981)
PLYMOUTH FURY(1976 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SALON(1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SPORT(1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SPORT SUBURBAN(1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SUBURBAN 1977
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY(1980 - 1981)
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY SALON

I believe you should need an A17 inner bearing and an A2 outer bearing. My parts book shows A18 for a '77 Gran Fury, so you might have the incorrect inner one. '78 Cordoba is what I always use, and everything gets ordered via RockAuto.

The Gran Fury is considered a C Body, (larger, I assume). All the rest are B Bodies and maybe R Body.

Ask for 79 Cordoba, should get you all the right parts.
Which new rotors did you get? Wondering for a related question..

I do believe all the inner and outer bearings and seals are the same 73-87 on A, B, E, R, F, M and J body cars regardless of 10.87 or 11.75 disks. All the spindles accept the same bearings regardless of the groupings as well (A & E body spindles vs 73+B, R, F, M & J body spindles)

I hope nobody minds if I piggy-back on this thread. I also want to go with this 11.75" rotor conversion on my 69 Barracuda which currently has its stock manual drums. I have bought upper control arms/spindles/caliper brackets (sliding pin type) from a 1974 Dodge Dart.

From what I understand, I will need to drill out my lower control arm ball joints to accept the larger later A-body size. So when ordering parts, I should order everything from a 1974 Dodge Dart, except for rotors and caliper brackets from a 1979 Cordoba?

I realize that I will also need a proportioning valve (from what car?), and disk brake master cylinder .

Thanks for the information. I live overseas and don't want to make a mistake with parts because I won't be able to return them and it will cost a fortune to ship them.

Last edited:
no drilling required!

If you have a or E body spindles your existing ball joints will bolt right up. If you have the 73+B, R, F, M or J spindles you will need some grade 8 nuts and bolts to mate the ball joint to the spindle.

Oh and you mention wanting to do the 11.75 disks and you have 74 pin type caliper and brackets... there are two different sizes of caliper brackets. One size for the 11.75 disks and the more common 10.87 disks. pin and slider type are available in both sizes as well. (Not the calipers are no different for the two sizes but obviously different between pin and slider)

Here is some reading on the subject:
Disk Brake Conversion Info
Spindle Comparison

I just re-read your post... you cant just order the caliper brackets especially for pin type as they are not reproduced.

Yes you will need a disk brake car proportioning valve

no drilling required!

If you have a or E body spindles your existing ball joints will bolt right up. If you have the 73+B, R, F, M or J spindles you will need some grade 8 nuts and bolts to mate the ball joint to the spindle.

Oh and you mention wanting to do the 11.75 disks and you have 74 pin type caliper and brackets... there are two different sizes of caliper brackets. One size for the 11.75 disks and the more common 10.87 disks. pin and slider type are available in both sizes as well. (Not the calipers are no different for the two sizes but obviously different between pin and slider)

Here is some reading on the subject:
Disk Brake Conversion Info
Spindle Comparison

I just re-read your post... you cant just order the caliper brackets especially for pin type as they are not reproduced.

Yes you will need a disk brake car proportioning valve

Thank you, Colonel, for your assistance. I read your links (thanks). I believe I made a mistake saying I had "sliding pin" type caliper brackets. I meant "sliding" type brackets. Here is the link to the ad for the parts I bought:

[SOLD] - A-Body disk Brake spindle and control arms for converting to big bolt pattern

I wasn't aware that you couldn't just buy the proper caliper brackets new, so I now know I have to search for used cores, such as these in this for sale link, which show "pin type" brackets from a 78 Cordoba. If I read his ad correctly, only pin type brackets were produced for this type rotor? Or were sliding style brackets produced?

[SOLD] - "PIN TYPE" Caliper Mounts For The 11 3/4" Inch Rotors

If I'm not able to locate the proper brackets, I now understand that I will have to stick with the 11" rotor.

Slider type brackets were used in the late 70's for the 11.75" disks. There are aftermarket 'slider' brackets available: Mopar 11.75" Disc Brake Slider Caliper Brackets $90 that's a great price for em too!

Here is Dr.Diff's ebay add: Mopar Caliper Brackets fit 11.75" rotors on '73 up DISC knuckles A/B/E body NEW | eBay

There are originals out there, I have a set from a 78 Cordoba (that I'll be using tho so not for sale)

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

BTW that was a good deal for the upper control arms and spindles!

I note that the big retaining washers and the nut cage (for lack of a better name) are not pictured... hope they are included but if not shouldn't be too hard to find.

BTW that was a good deal for the upper control arms and spindles!

I note that the big retaining washers and the nut cage (for lack of a better name) are not pictured... hope they are included but if not shouldn't be too hard to find.
Thank you so much for your pictures and information. It helps me tremendously (and I also hope that it will help others). I'm pretty much a Mopar virgin and this is my first Mopar classic, so the learning curve is steep and long for me and I can use all the help I can get! For example, your comment about the missing parts. The seller gave me a list of parts I need to buy to complete the conversion, but I am not sure if it is comprehensive. He didn't know anything about adding the 11.75" rotors, so that's why I've been searching out that info, so I can go all the way and get the bigger brakes as long as I'm buying all new parts anyway. So once again, I appreciate your help, and link to the caliper brackets!

The Dr. Diff components say that they are slider type brackets, and I presume that's better than pin type, and I should go with the slider type brackets. That means that I'll need to make sure I buy slider type calipers (or are all calipers the same)? Are the calipers for the 11" rotors the exact same ones for the 11.75" calipers? I presume so but am not sure.

When ordering my parts, I need to give a particular car...so it's 74 Dart for my upper control arm bushings and ball joints, but 78 Cordoba for everything else?

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Even though You have sliders, I want to point out that TheRamManInc. IS reproducing the pin-type brackets for 11.75", for those looking........

I wouldn't say sliders are better or pin type are better... I can tell you I find the pin type quieter but the pads are a little more expensive most likely because they were not in production as long (around 73 to 78 I think) and the slider type were used over many more years (73 to 88 I think) and are easy to find

*The larger 11.75 brakes were available 76 to 81 I believe.

You asked about the calipers themselves... there is no difference in calipers, they are either pin or slider type, they will fit the appropriate caliper bracket. now there are differences in the slider callipers over the years between some body models and its to do with how and where the flex hose attaches to it.

As you said your doing the work to a 69 Cuda, I think asking for the 74 ABody callipers may be your best bet and not the later calipers though I cannot say 100% I'm also not sure what flex hoses will work for you either sorry but apparently they can be custom made to fit easily enough.

Oh the other consideration in flex hoses may be if you have a sway bar... if you do you may have the calliper on the 'back' of the spindle. I know I know that's not a good description but sway bar, disk brake Interference-1965 barracuda

Hope this all helps and not hinders

The Dr. Diff components say that they are slider type brackets, and I presume that's better than pin type, and I should go with the slider type brackets. That means that I'll need to make sure I buy slider type calipers (or are all calipers the same)? Are the calipers for the 11" rotors the exact same ones for the 11.75" calipers? I presume so but am not sure.
When ordering my parts, I need to give a particular car...so it's 74 Dart for my upper control arm bushings and ball joints, but 78 Cordoba for everything else?
Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!
When ordering parts,yes. As far as calipers go, for the type, and for all cars that are't A-bodies yes. The slider calipers for '73-'75 A-bodies are only 2.59" piston, the '76 A's &
all FMJ.B etc. sliders are 2.75" pistons......which are what you want. Some prefer the pin-type for less friction/free pad motion, but they all work.

-
Back