Help, 4 speed console via automatic console

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know if you have a A body (68-69) console from a Dart, Barracuda that was autistic automatic, would you be able to just swap the top plate with the 4 speed plate and use it ?
Thanks in advance to all the Moparites....
MAPS

I think the bottoms are slightly different, but I can't say that for sure. The only reason I say that is when I bought my car, the top plate (4spd) was not installed. When I went to put it into the bottom section, it would not lay into the bottom all the way. I had to trim the lower console where the top went it to clear the flange for the manual top plate.

It wasn't much. The 4spd top just had slightly bigger, more square flange that would not clear down into the bottom. I just did a little cutting on the opening and it dropped in. You cannot see it after the top plate went in.

I did a quick look to see if I could find pictures of the different console bottoms, but couldn't find any. In the attached pictures of the tops though, you can see how much bigger the 4spd opening is. When you mount the shift boot in the bottom of the manual plate, it may hit on the smaller opening in the console bottom, but like I said,... a little trimming of the flange on the console bottom was all that was needed for it to drop in.

EDIT: 4spd upper plate is the woodgrained one

MA593.jpg

MA594.jpg

Yes I see the difference but what I was saying is if I just bought the 4 speed plate right out, it would fit in the console ?
I'm worried that maybe the 4 speed complete top plate may not fit where there was at one time an automatic shifter top plate.

I'm not going to try to align the automatic plate to fit a 4 speed shift in it..

That's what I am trying to tell you. I think my bottom was for an automatic top plate and my 4spd top plate wouldn't fit down into it until I did some trimming. I think the bottom for automatics has a bigger flange around the edges, and the 4spd plate won't drop into it without doing a little trimming.

I have an auto console and 4 speed reproduction plate combo for my TKO swap. My plate will not sit down fully yet, I have not looked into why but it will almost go in, like another 5% to lay flush. If I get a chance I will look at the fit this evening, but I know others have used 4 speed plated on auto console bases.

I have an auto console and 4 speed reproduction plate combo for my TKO swap. My plate will not sit down fully yet, I have not looked into why but it will almost go in, like another 5% to lay flush. If I get a chance I will look at the fit this evening, but I know others have used 4 speed plated on auto console bases.

Mine was the same way. It would ALMOST drop into place, but not quite. I had to trim mine on both sides where the red line is, as the pointed area that the red arrow points to interfered with the top plate and shift boot. Like I said before,.. it wasn't a big deal. I just had to trim those points off like the line shows and it dropped right in. Mounting holes were even the same

s-l1600.jpg

Mine was the same way. It would ALMOST drop into place, but not quite. I had to trim mine on both sides where the red line is, as the pointed area that the red arrow points to interfered with the top plate and shift boot. Like I said before,.. it wasn't a big deal. I just had to trim those points off like the line shows and it dropped right in. Mounting holes were even the same

View attachment 1715154786

Thanks! I just mocked it up and sure enough that and one of the pins doesn't line up with a hole well. Just the corners where your red arrow needs trimmed a tad.

Last edited:
I've said this before and I will keep reverberating this, 'til the day I die and go Moparevn.
You guys are the greatest friends one has never met. Hell, I'm starting to understand the concept of "mail-order-brides" being successful lol.

Anyhow thanks guys, appreciate ALL the help, ideas and personal experiences.

A Canadian Moparite.

MAPS

Don't get too excited MAPS,... I'm already married!! And I like coming to Canada fishing, but I have my limits!!:lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH........

If you said hunting, hmm maybe, just maybe, but fishing? Not my thing.
Too much patience needed.
Like yourself I also have a Finance Minister myself (Well you addressed that you are married, so I didn't know if you swing on this team or play with the "other" team) Regardless, I have one of the opposite gender that can do a whole lot of stuff, but she don't Hunt.
Plus, I have north of 70 Bull dogs (what mainstream society refer to as, Pitbull) but she is game (no pun intended, that's for DOGMEN) with the dogs.
Hell, she is as good as one can hope for but I still need to pass the "Budget test" every so often, cause we would have to declare a Recession ... Worse yet, Depression in this household if I were let free to roam as I please when it comes to playing with my hobbies. lol

After 28 yrs, I realized I had/have won the lottery......when it came to having a missus.
Bless her, my dogs, mopars and all my toys.....

Now family is first, and we all will protect them diligently. Our spouses, children, parents, etc....but, "Me car, shot gun and me dawg....I shoot first and then ask..... Did I get him (her) and shoot again." lol

All kidding aside, if you hunt, hit me up and I can take you for some nice moose. (Tastes as good... If not better than deer, in my opinion) Not to mention a much more satisfying hunt.

MAPS

P.S. Got bear also....

Did that with my old '66 Barracuda back in the 1980s. Had a black console from a '66 Dart GT and put the four speed top plate from the Barracuda into it. No cutting, nothing. In 1967 they opened up the side for more shifter clearance, but I still can't see where that was necessary.

Did that with my old '66 Barracuda back in the 1980s. Had a black console from a '66 Dart GT and put the four speed top plate from the Barracuda into it. No cutting, nothing. In 1967 they opened up the side for more shifter clearance, but I still can't see where that was necessary.

Thanks for the input, as always someone here has either seen it, done it or will be doing it. Good to know.
Thanks.
MAPS

After 28 yrs, I realized I had/have won the lottery......when it came to having a missus.
Bless her, my dogs, mopars and all my toys.....

Like you, I have been fortunate to find a good hearted, supportive wife. Mine likes cars, and likes to fish, hunt, and shoot. It definitely helps when you have someone who shares your interests. My ex wasn't into any of it, and that's why my Charger sat for so many years waiting to be done someday. My current wife has a completely different attitude and keeps saying to get the car done!

Couldn't agree with you more that the people on here are great. Very helpful and very experienced!

By the way,..... 70+ dogs??? What?,... are you a rescue shelter?? :) I thought we were bad with our Mastiff, Bull Terrier, and two little Papillions.

Like you, I have been fortunate to find a good hearted, supportive wife. Mine likes cars, and likes to fish, hunt, and shoot. It definitely helps when you have someone who shares your interests. My ex wasn't into any of it, and that's why my Charger sat for so many years waiting to be done someday. My current wife has a completely different attitude and keeps saying to get the car done!

Couldn't agree with you more that the people on here are great. Very helpful and very experienced!

By the way,..... 70+ dogs??? What?,... are you a rescue shelter?? :) I thought we were bad with our Mastiff, Bull Terrier, and two little Papillions.

Don't sell any just keep the same blood from 1979....13 yrs old first dog and the rest is history, lol
Travel all over the world with them.... And they're great when you Hagee one sticking his head out when the car is parked, no one thinks twice off scratching the car lol

I have had and done and sold many of these 4 speed consoles . All the top plates are the same...mount the same on all consoles, Yes, I know wood grain non wood grain ETC, that aside they all fit all years. The 4 speed base is different that the Automatic base. An automatic base can be made to work....kinda. I have pictures to compare all side by side and will upload latter....

Just bought an automatic console for my non console 67 barracuda 4 spd. tonight!
This thread gave me the inspiration to do this for my project car. Thanks for this and I will continue watching for any more information or pics anyone sends in the future. FABO has been the best addition to my project yet! Very awesome group of people.

The two are quite different, The 4 speed as you can see has a screw and a clip on the drivers side cut out. In this area is a paper/ wax (Not sure what its made of) cover. This creates a "Hump" under which is the shifter mechanism. Making an Auto into a 4 speed could be done, would it look right.....Not sure? Would it function right...maybe , Yes

My project car has no brackets whatsoever on the hump to connect to a console. Since I am converting an auto console to a manual, I also plan on fabricating these three brackets. If anyone has pics of these and how they connect, I would love to see them.

My project car has no brackets whatsoever on the hump to connect to a console. Since I am converting an auto console to a manual, I also plan on fabricating these three brackets. If anyone has pics of these and how they connect, I would love to see them.

I have Pictures of this as well, Automatic and 4 Speed brackets are the same, just remove the Automatic shifter mounting bracket and the other two remain for the 4 speed console. The hump will need to be welded in of course, so just the front console bracket needs to be moved from the Auto floor to the 4 speed hump, the rear bracket you need not touch. Pictures to come.

Auto VS 4 Speed console floor brackets. My 69 Barracuda 383-4 speed had the brackets cut out during the cars race days. I am replacing the brackets.

image1[1].JPG

image2[1].JPG

Good photos from marksmopar. My car+'68 cuda 4-sp. The difference in consoles, 4-sp vs auto, is not the top plate but rather the left side bulge. This bulge is a separate piece, screwed on, made of some funky material resembling plastic. It provides room for the shifter.

-
Back