Help before I spend some money for nothing.

-

swies

Wish I had more time.
Reaction score
:evil3:
So I am looking at a new Dizzy or Dizzy set.
I will explain.
Currently Mostly stock with Accel cap, coil, and rotor.
Due to budgetary constraints, I am looking at this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLYMOUTH-27...res-/191281189047?hash=item2c893f50b7&vxp=mtr

Want to know what you guys think.
Is this a waste of cash?
My plug wires do need to be replaced, PO put on Accel's with *90 boots and they tend to hit the header once and a while. Need straight boots to correct.
Cap and Rotor will need to be replaced soon as well.

Attachments

• $_14.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 312
there is a thread about "made in china" distributors how they don't really align correctly when rotor is installed with shaft. look into that ahead of time to see how to fix that if you come across that issue.

looks good to me though. good luck.

If your distributor is good and working why replace it? Now if it's points then I can understand.

Stock stuff has gone plenty fast in some serious power combos. Unless you suspect wear or some other mechanical issues with what you have or the cost of the parts equal that of the kit. I would stick with the Mopar unit.

I too would stick with the mopar parts, My personal experience with (even though it wasn't mentioned) MSD stuff is less than spectacular. I agree that you need to be very careful of chinese junk. There's a reason why it's cheaper.

Hey the wires are "made in USA"..seriously run away "jap crap" better off sticking with the Mopar stuff..if its cheap you want.

OK, So I stick with the MA MOPAR Stuff.
With that being said, how can I get rid of the 'Ballast Resistor' system?
Does MA make a full 12v coil setup?

You can find many reviews of that "read-to-run HEI distributor" here. Most people found they work well. One shop owner claimed a bushing failure in some customer cars. For sure lube the bushing first, to protect it until it get normal "splash oil" from the engine. That package looks pricey. I paid $45 for the same distributor and $20 for same HEI coil from Skip White Performance on ebay (haven't installed).

Any ignition which requires a ballast is older electronics. That includes Mopar, Pertronix Ignitor I, Crane XR700. They work fine, just not quite as powerful spark, plus the ballast complexities. Mopar never made a stand-alone "HEI-type" ignition. It was built into the "lean burn" or "spark computer" box of 1980's cars, then into the main engine computer. GM's 8-pin HEI is the best stand-alone retrofit (85-95 V-8 ), which TrailBeast here sells, or go junkyard like me. That can work easily with your Mopar distributor.

I would not buy the unit you have pictured. It has an almost impossible to find, very expensive HEI module. Holden. From Australia. They are not cheap.

Got home one night,lifted the hood as usual, and #7 spark plug wire didn't look right.Gave it a wiggle and it was not even connected to the spark plug. I had that plug out about three weeks prior and obviously didn't get it on right.It was pulled back at least 1/2",but the boot was still over the plug.I had driven the car hard numerous times and it never even had a miss.
...stock recurved Ma Mopar Distributor with auto parts*store wires and $20.00 coil.

..the trick is to control your hobby and not have your hobby control you...hard to do!

Interesting. That has to be pretty recent. Pangasket needed one about two months ago and no one had one.....except down under.

Go to www.designed2drive.com for this mounting bracket and wire that mopar dist up with a GM 4 pin HEI module. Use a genuine GM or Napa echlin module. Get a pertronics ignitor 3 oil filled cylindrical coil as it has the correct primary winding resistance to run with the GM module, unless you like the blocky square GM E coil you can score at the junkyard for about $10. Dont forget to get the wiring plugs with it if you do. Problem w the chinkonese dist is it may work fine but when it breaks your gonna have parts issues.

Hope this helpd
Matt

Don't cheap out IMO. It has burned me in the past and ended up costing more.

-
Back