Help building a part for my drag car

-

DavidLee

Reaction score
As most of you know we are required by most tracks to install a metal firewall between the trunk and driver's area if we install a fuel cell into the trunk. On my cuda the well goes into the drivers area and will create a bulge. If you did this how did you design and make this firewall.

Thanks

Use flat stock to build backing.
Heavy paper for templates. Make the paper fit dead nuts tight. You can cut the paper sloppy then tape sections to the edge to make it fit just right.
Trace the paper on your metal then just cut it out
Done!

20170607_201139_zpsrcmfotut.jpg

The bead rolling is just extra points.

:)

Sorry, large cardboard template then transfer to metal, we also used seam sealer as well.

I made custom angles on the brake and layed them under each seam so there is no gaps and no sealer needed.

I'll take a pic from the trunk side. It shows how it's all made.

Last edited:
i see went flat around the wheel wells and i am trying to avoid that since I want to still run the stock seat
I made custom angles on the brake and layed them under each seam so there is no gaps and no sealer needed.

I'll take a pic from the trunk side. It shows how it's all made.
thanks

Then just build the backing from the trunk side with the seat in place and install the metal from the trunk side.

Some serious car yoga will be involved.

:)

although NHRA never bothered me about having rear speakers.
I PUT .063 SHEET ALUM. OVER MY ORIGINAL REAR PANEL IN MY 68 FASTBACK, after I reworked the it. I don`t run a back seat , it would be useless dead weight w/ a roll bar and rear struts anyway! I finished the whole back interior to look like a factory business coupe. LITEWEIGHT AND LOOKS PRETTY DARN NICE.

I made a template on cardboard, then picked up some sheet mettle from Lowes and put it together. I put the back seat back in and besides the package tray, you would never know it was there. The sheet mettle I used added a little weight, but it was cheap (and I was in a hurry when I built it)....I would go aluminum if you can find it.

Note: Be sure to check the regulations before building it. I think there is a specific thickness of mettle required, but I don't recall what it is...and it is different depending on the material used.

I made a template on cardboard, then picked up some sheet mettle from Lowes and put it together. I put the back seat back in and besides the package tray, you would never know it was there. The sheet mettle I used added a little weight, but it was cheap (and I was in a hurry when I built it)....I would go aluminum if you can find it.

Note: Be sure to check the regulations before building it. I think there is a specific thickness of mettle required, but I don't recall what it is...and it is different depending on the material used.

Not only that but the thickness isn't the same depending on whether you use steel or aluminum. Check the rulebook on this one, especially if you don't plan to run a backseat.

-
Back