Help ! Can I remove the trans, but not the converter ?

-
One are you calling me an *** ? Two, I didn't wait because the first night nobody replied. As I said, " I wanted tricks and tips no critics. 3 it's at the trans shop, and everyone of you were wrong. The trans is in tip top shape. If the pump drive is in alignment, it can be done. I don't like to talk like this to people, nor do I like to be refereed to as an ***. Guess most of you don't know what you are talking about, and some people are just plain cool.

Hey Leadfoot, your right. But since the one guy feels I needed his useless advice, which meant nothing if he had read what I wrote. IT'S ON A PALLET !!!!, and the other guy is so rooting for someone to fail unless you take his advice 2 days after I was finished. I think I'll do the operation in reverse just too live up to the *** that guy said I was.
I had one of the guys from the yard do the same thing I did, twice today, and as far as we know nothing broke. Must be the mechanical skills of some of these other fellas.

Transmission operates perfectly, but thanks for call me an *** pro-tec. Anyway I do want to thank those people who added the extra advice on re-installing the thing. If it's not something you do everyday, a little reminder help kick the memory in.

Transmission operates perfectly, but thanks for call me an *** pro-tec. Anyway I do want to thank those people who added the extra advice on re-installing the thing. If it's not something you do everyday, a little reminder help kick the memory in.

:D They can be carefully taken off with the convertor attached to the flywheel, but not put back on that way.

To bad none of the right people had the right info in the beginning.

I separated the motor/trans with the converter still on the flex plate. Of course I didn't know the proper procedure at the time either. But what I did was hang the motor and tranny with a hoist, then used a mover's dolly and dropped the unit until the trans sat on the dolly. I separated the tranny and motor apart with the converter on the flex plate. It came straight off. The block nor tranny dropped in any way. Some people freaked when I told them I did that. I don't see any way I could have damaged anything but who knows. I'll probably have someone take a look at it before I put it back in the car. But I do know now to not put it back together that way!

Just make sure you have all your bases covered and nothing is broke when you go back in with it. You don't want to be doing this twice.

For what ever reason - coincidence - If you put a gen III with a Milodon pan, and a 727 with a stock pan on a flat surface, everything is fairly horizontal. when I unbolted it, I didn't have to pry, or anything. But it still heavy, and pulling it apart might be a bit shifty. So I used a piece of linoleum counter, and oiled it, and grabbed the tail shaft, and it slide smoothly. That might not work with a 340-440.

Clinteg, one of my friends own Nefzningers salvage yard. He did it twice after I did, and as long as the trans can't arch down, or up, or be torqued, it's so quick a thing that it's do able. You might need some 2x4's or whatever.
Also the reason none of the advice in this post was taken, had nothing to do with being a know it all, or any ill will. There were just no replies yet, and Dan the Welder was here, and said, " Let's get it over to the guy to check it out." I'm a paranoid M.F.'r, if I had read these posts, it would still be sitting on the pallet probably.

-
Back