HELP: early a body Neutral Safety Switch and other parts!

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Contact seller
Aloha FABO! Need some parts help. (I'll post in parts wanted too). Just thought it was best to post here for all you early A bodies!

I need a new Neutral Safety switch. Mine is intermittant sometimes. Might just be an adjustment. But I would like to replace a 43 year old switch...its about that time! I saw one on Ebay...but dang! $60 is a lot! Any idea where to get one?

Also, I have the original radio...I want to install it back and put the "new one" onder the dash.
But the PO didn't give me the nuts for the Volume and Frequency adjustment. Anyone have two I can get? I tried locally...no LUCK!

Wanted:
1.) Neutral Safety Switch (1966 Barracuda console automatic 904)
2.) Radio nuts... (Same car)best name I can come up with!

Mahalo and Aloha!

I highly doubt you'll find a early neutral switch for less than $60. The cheapest I found one for was $78 a while back when I needed one. I assume your talking the single pin switch right? You can replace it with a 69-70 style 3 prong switch. Just find the pigtail for it and use the center pin. Don't look original but the newer switch only costs about $12 at Autozone so it's a bunch cheaper.

If you want to try the three pin type, I've got one from a decent wiring harness. $5 plus shipping. Then just grab a new three pin neutral safety switch, and you shouldn't have any more issues.
mike

concerning the neutral-switch, you can also by-pass it. It´s only simply a ground cable (you only have to watch and be sure that your shift-lever is in the right place - cause if you by-pass it, the engine will start also with a gear selected) - that´s my solution as long as it takes for me to get a cheap nss here in Germany (what will be prop. a longe time.....)

Fishy is right on. Bought a 3 pin from Bumper to Bumper for $11+ change.

Fishy68...the three pin I assume fits right in...question is once I get the wiring harness (dusterdood) where do the other wires go...just abandon them? (blank them off?) If so...this is the way to go.

Thanks guys...

Yeah, I could bypass it...but I want her to be safe. My Duster has it by passed and a couple of times I jumped her when I "thought" she was parked!

Re: Radio Nuts

I went thru this myself awhile ago and couldn't find them......RedFish/Ben helped me out. :)

I have a couple extras now as long as 66 ones are the same as later ones? I am not sure......

Fishy68...the three pin I assume fits right in...question is once I get the wiring harness (dusterdood) where do the other wires go...just abandon them? (blank them off?) If so...this is the way to go.

Thanks guys...

Yeah, I could bypass it...but I want her to be safe. My Duster has it by passed and a couple of times I jumped her when I "thought" she was parked!

Yeah just ignore the other wires. They are for the backup lights on the newer cars. Yours has the backup light switch either on the shifter or column depending on if you have a column shift or floor shift.

Make sure and get a switch for a 69-70 as the newer ones are a little different. They look the same on the outside but there's a difference where the plunger mates up to the rooster comb on the manual valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back