Help! Edelbrock problems...

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
Scene:
1406 Edelbrock 600cfm 4-barrel carb electric choke.
Sitting on a 318 with a decent cam.
Electronic ignition with vacuum advance.

Problem:
Carb is drowning my engine, after engine stops running the carb is still feeding gas from the primary venturi boosters. I'm looking for some input on this as I have rebuilt the carb, checked the floats and idle-mixture settings. Was given the suggestion that it may be due to the aftermarket cam and vacuum advance not cooperating? :wack:

Not sure what you mean. Is the engine running on (dieseling) after the key is turned off or is fuel just running out of the boosters after it's shut off (no dieseling)?

If it's the former, you need more advance so you can close the throttle blades down and still have the idle RPM where you want it. If it's the latter, the carb is getting too hot and the fuel is percolating out of the bowls, so you need to make the carb cooler by insulating it from manifold heat.

Mechanical fuel pump, no regulator. I'm not yet convinced that it's related to heat because it happens before any heat has a chance to build up... I noticed my vacuum advance was going to the wrong inlet on the carb though. I'll find out tomorrow if that makes a difference or not.

If you have fuel leaking out with the engine off then that tells me the carb. has to much fuel in it. I would look at the needle and seat for damage or an obstruction and the floats for free movement. The cam and timing would come into play when the engine is running but not when its off.

If you have fuel leaking out with the engine off then that tells me the carb. has to much fuel in it. I would look at the needle and seat for damage or an obstruction and the floats for free movement. The cam and timing would come into play when the engine is running but not when its off.
FIXED! Thank you Mr.Gasket in-line fuel pressure regulator... You are my hero!

"Help! Edelbrock problems..." That would have been my call as soon as the UPS man dropped it off.

"Help! Edelbrock problems..." That would have been my call as soon as the UPS man dropped it off.

Budget friendly and supposed to be great carbs for daily driving. That's what I was lookin for. I was hoping to resurrect this scamp and drive it to and from work and school (which is <5 Miles each way...)

They are good carburetors. I just hate um. LOL

I was thinking about what to do if I couldnt fix my issue... I can't afford fuel injection, and I hear Holleys require constant adjusting and don't like cold weather... :p But my problems fixed for now... just gotta fix timing... I'm assuming thats what would make my neighbors think that there is a shooting in the parking lot right before my car dies, :p

I just found out that gas was leaking into one of the floats on mine. This was causing increasingly worse flooding.

-
Back