help finding proper heads...

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Awhile back I had an issue where I found out one head was milled .040 more than the other head. I ended up using Crane Iron ductile adjustable rockers, and shims under the rocker bar to make up for this. Ive had it this way for 2 years now and it works, and runs well... however I have ticks and things and it just bothers me.
It sucks because these are slightly ported and have 2.02 valves and valve job with hardened seats with about 3000mi. I just don't want to be running shims, and I have to figure out these "ticks" anyway.
What can I find comparable that is similar and proper and at what price?
any recommendations? I like to stick with 2.02 valves because it seems to run right with my application.

I keep hearing about using late 80's early 90's 318 heads. Is this true?

Thanks!!

Those would be 302 castings.Post your combo,would help. Love your avatar pic,have relatives in Lacrosse!

Well, I have a stroker 360. These are "J" heads (915 I believe). These were 1.88, but changed over to 2.02. Why is one side milled .040 more than the other IDK? Someone really F'd up!
I have a Lunati 10200703 cam (I think I want to go one higher).

Yes, Donald Driver rules! It's weird even here in Packer land no one knows why he didn't play this year?? He is still a top receiver at 37. so?? IDK? Kind of a waste.

Asylum,did a 408 myself. Did you supply heads,or buy as a complete assembly'? Did you buy heads done on the budget?

I was on a budget. I had two sets of heads, and the shop chose which ones they thought would be best. Maybe is was a mix of the two heads? I know they had to do some digging around to get the CC's the same.
It almost seems like they were just done screwing around with them and said good enough.

I mean, they obviously work... :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNP7w23Fxgg"]The art of immaturity. - YouTube[/ame]

Why don't you just mill the other head 0.040"? EQ or RHS might be a good swap depending what CR that will give you.

Milling the other head did come to mind, but then the CC's will be off again.

What do you mean CR?

Just got my EQ Magnum castings today,sweet. C.R, refers to compression ratio.

You could do a thicker head gasket,side to side.Not cheap,Cometic does custom head gaskets.

I think I rather get different heads then use a thicker gasket.

I did a bit of reading on the EQ heads. They seem nice, and are newer Magnum heads. The price I saw was $328.00. Then I would need new valves too! Do those heads use different rockers too??

From what I'm reading, for these Magnum heads, I would need new rockers. How good are stock ones for this application?

If the cc's are the same, I'd guess the heads are milled the same. In my experience "J" heads are pretty good as far as cc'c are concerned. Someone probably milled the other head .040 before you got them. There are reference pads in the chambers you cam measure but I guess it is a little late for that. You should be good to go. I'd pull the spacers and readjust the valves since you have adjustable rockers. You can get an adjustable pushrod, mock it up and check side to side. Could be initial wear in has you ticking. Did you adjust them hot? How much preload did you adjust to?

-
Back