Help For New Owner

-

mnewmanfla

Reaction score
Fist off, I don't like the fact that my 2nd post is a plea for help, but time is of the essence.
I just purchase a '64 Cuda 273 for my son's 16th Birthday on Dec 28th.
I'm looking for advice on what should be done to the engine to make the car as dependable as possible. The car idles really well, but hesitates upon throttle.
I've ordered new cap/rotor kit, new accel plug wires, new plugs, belts, hoses, filters etc.
The previous owner changed out the manifold and put on an edelbrock manifold and edelbrock 650 carb.
Should I change out the points ign system first?
If it where your car.... what would be the things you would do first?
Thanks for any help that the guru's can provide, and I look forward to both of us being active on the forum.
Regards,
Mike

Sounds like your going to give it a good tune up, that's what I would do too. Don't forget the fuel filter and check the timing.

Thanks for the quick replies, the brakes where completely done less than 2k miles ago from lines, drums, pads, etc. at least that's what the receipts say. I'm still going to go through them.
Thanks again, keep 'em coming

That stumble will not likely be ignition. Points work well if maintained. Ignition problems would more likely be a miss at high rpm. I'd sort out that carburator. It's the one piece that has been changed and the likely source for any new problems. Possibly a vacuum leak, or inadequate accelerator pump.

Welcome to this great site Mike, I my self came here many moons ago looking for help and as you can see I have never looked back and love all the good folks and tec's here.
The first thing I did to my 66 valiant was change to electronic ignition.
But you can make that call down the road as you get moving forward
Check your Vacuum advance for the hesitates upon throttle, pull the vacuum line that goes to the distributor off your carb and put your finger over the place you removed the vacuum line off the carb :happy10: if the engine goes to a higher rpm then your advance is working if it don't your vacuum advance is stuck in your distributor or your vacuum line has a leak in it.
I am sure a good tec will jump in here and move things forward for you soon :happy10:
Welcome aboard Mike :cheers:

memike, that's great advice! That's the stuff I'm looking for.
Any recommendations on the best place to order the service manual?
I need to order it today from somewhere.

-
Back