Help ID this rear end please

-

octanejunkie

Mopar Padawan
Reaction score
Recived this in a deal with my 71 Scamp, seller said it was a Dana 60 on the phone, it is obviously not. I think it is an 8-3/4 Chrysler - can anyone confirm

Flange to flange (housing) is 52.75"
Spring perch to perch ctr 43.375" (between 43 and 43.5)
Estimated overall length with axles and backing plates 57.75"

Thinking about building this and throwing it under the 71 Scamp with some 3.23 gears and 245/60R14s - if it will fit...

Anyone know if this posi carrier uses cones or clutch plates? I hear one is easier to build than the other
P1010145.jpg

P1010147.jpg

P1010158.jpg

P1010154.jpg

Thanks for looking

This is a A body 8.75 diff housing and axles with a 742 center section,which is good for your car,mrmopartech
What gear ratio did you get?
It looks like a sure grip carrier ,but you need to take a pic of the carrier turned over to see the insides of it,mrmopartech

That's a 742 case, cone type (Auburn) Sure Grip, for an A body. The clutch type Sure Grip is easier to rebuild since you only need to take it apart and change the clutches and steels. The Auburn unit is a little more involved since the internals need to be machined to repair it. The Auburn unit is easier to live with on the street (smoother operation) than the clutch type, and costs less to buy initially. It also has a longer service life. I'd say run what you got until it wears out and then make a choice on replacement. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, indeed it is an 8-3/4" rear. I have 3 third members, one is a cone-type posi the other two are open diffs. Between the three I have 2 usable sets of gears, a 2.76 set and a 3.91 set - with a 3 speed 904 I am leaning towards the 2.76s for the street but am temped to throw the 3.91s in there and keep the car for the strip

I will post a thread in Parts Wanted but I need 28" long 5 on 4.5" axles, mine are on a 4" bolt circle

-
Back