Help identifying 4 speed transmissions

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have five 833's and im trying to ID them. I need to find out which one would be best for my 71 cuda. I think two are E body and one A body. The others im not sure of. Four of these have pads with numbers but one does not. Im posting pictures of the one without numbers. Here are the numbers from the others.Of course I cant find my 833 book I bought 6 months ago. Any help would be appreciated.

OAI36288
PP833 2660 0065

WM23H9A164801
PP883 2660 0187

VG187166
PP833 3093 154

OA123671
PP833 2964 0370

20211229_172003.jpg

20211229_172010.jpg

20211229_172015.jpg

You can eliminate the long tail ones by sight. The one pictured with two mounts is a 70/ later B/E (and I guess C?) body

I should have two E body, one A body and at least one 69 B body. I just dont remember which is which. So the dual pattern tail shaft is B/E? I think they all have dual shift mounts except for the first one.

Not bein a smartass at all here, but I would single out the E body transmissions for an E body car. Otherwise, you'll have some fabbin to do.

I should have two E body, one A body and at least one 69 B body. I just dont remember which is which. So the dual pattern tail shaft is B/E? I think they all have dual shift mounts except for the first one.
OH crap I 'm sorry, just realized you are LOOKING for an E body box.

70/ later B/E body boxes are long shaft and have two shifter mounts, because the shifter mounts on the rear of an E body, and at the front for a B body

Only A body boxes are short tail shaft

The pictured transmissions are 71 and later. They are steel fork transmissions probably 247 first geer. Put your short tail shaft and tail shaft housing on one of those transmissions.

He wants it for an E body so he need the longer dual mount tail housing.
See which one is in the best condition and build that one.

So it appears that all but one of these are B/E transmissions. They are/were all good boxes so I just need to freshen up with syncro rings, bearings, seals etc.

The 0A transmissions are both from 1970 B bodies.

VG187166 - does not compute, that V should be a number. Can you get a close up photo?

The pictured transmissions are 71 and later. They are steel fork transmissions probably 247 first geer. Put your short tail shaft and tail shaft housing on one of those transmissions.
Why? It's going in an E body.

I did to at first....I had to go back and reread it myself. lol
Even the e-body questions come to the a-body site. The a-body site has a variety of members. I rarely visit the B,E,F,C or truck sites. Moparts is confusing and not friendly at all. I just pay the $40 here and let life go on.

I have five 833's and im trying to ID them. I need to find out which one would be best for my 71 cuda. I think two are E body and one A body. The others im not sure of. Four of these have pads with numbers but one does not. Im posting pictures of the one without numbers. Here are the numbers from the others.Of course I cant find my 833 book I bought 6 months ago. Any help would be appreciated.

OAI36288
PP833 2660 0065

WM23H9A164801
PP883 2660 0187

VG187166
PP833 3093 154

OA123671
PP833 2964 0370

View attachment 1715844401

View attachment 1715844402

View attachment 1715844403
B/E ...Good trans.
Not bein a smartass at all here, but I would single out the E body transmissions for an E body car. Otherwise, you'll have some fabbin to do.
Requires grinding down one of the front mounting bolt bosses and making a plate that mounts from the rear mounting bosses to mount the shifter in a body location..which is near middle between the the B/E right behind the trans cross member.
I did that and been using it in my 67 valiant for about 20 yrs. Driveshaft is from early c body cut down. Same as 727 length.

B/E ...Good trans.

Requires grinding down one of the front mounting bolt bosses and making a plate that mounts from the rear mounting bosses to mount the shifter in a body location..which is near middle between the the B/E right behind the trans cross member.
I did that and been using it in my 67 valiant for about 20 yrs. Driveshaft is from early c body cut down. Same as 727 length.
Yeah, but he's talkin about an E body CAR here.

Yes, its going in a 71 cuda behind a 440 six pack.
I should have had an A body trans in the bunch but it appears these are all B/E body trans. The one that came with a 72 340 demon has two shifter mounting pads.

Are the B and E physically the same? I believe they are, just want to be sure. I have never built a 4 speed car before, always had autos.

They are interchangeable after some point in the 1969 model year.

Before that, the B-body 4-speed only had one shifter mounting point.

Be sure to match the front bearing retainer to your bell though, the big block manual transmissions use the larger bearing retainer.

If yours all happen to have the small retainer, Brewers sells an adapter ring to get to the larger size.

If you want to try to see if any of the transmissions match a car that still exists, you can list them at Engine and Trans Lost & Found

You do need to know the year beings that the brass rings changed in 70.
The shifter levers changed in 71

-
Back