HELP Identifying Rear Qtr Panels for Convertible '68 Barracuda

-

Mopar Virgin

Reaction score
Hi All ... My build project is moving along while my bank account shrinks. Paint is done and needing help sourcing rear qtr panels. One of our members was gracious enough to pull ones he had in storage out (see pictures). The aftermarket ones are designed for convertible Darts and "can work" but are not apparently a proper fit, per Laysons and ClassicIndustries fitment notes.

So, the other member and I are not clear what the real difference is or if that matters. Hoping one of his 3 pair is for a Bcuda and that someone out there can look and verify?

IMG_3622.jpeg

IMG_3621.jpeg

IMG_3620.jpeg

IMG_3619.jpeg

IMG_3618.jpeg

IMG_3617.jpeg

IMG_3616.jpeg

IMG_3615.jpeg

IMG_3614.jpeg

@jaws

My understanding is the barracuda is curved at the top edge vs more sharp.

Look at the doors top edge it should follow that line

Screenshot_20231106-155713.png

Not the real curve just for clarity of example

PXL_20231106_231112114.jpg

Last edited:
It is the top of the panel that hugs the quarter panel that is different, you don't show that area well with the pictures you posted. The Dart is more straight while the Barracuda has a bulge and is more round, hard to explain...

Last edited:
Here is a long shot down the DART rear seat arm rest panel and the door.

Barracuda should be similar but rounded vs sharp

PXL_20231108_000118498.jpg

The arm rest should follow the shape of the door

In this pic you can see the passengers side rear panel. Notice how it is flared up just a bit at the rear where it meets the top. The Dart panels are straight there. It is hard to tell in your pics but it looks like those may be for a Dart

REAR PANEL.jpg

In this pic you can see the passengers side rear panel. Notice how it is flared up just a bit at the rear where it meets the top. The Dart panels are straight there. It is hard to tell in your pics but it looks like those may be for a Dart

View attachment 1716163956
I think I see what you are speaking about ... So in you opinion, will Dart panels work or will it be a significant visual "thing" I'd be obsessing over for years? Also, looks like you did a great classy detail on yours. Could you send me a close-up of that and let me know if it's simply painted, or covered, or what you did there?

I’ll go out to the garage later today and I should be able to come up with the part numbers for the rear panels for the Darts and Barracudas. You can then just the list with the part number that’s molded into the backside of the panels.

I think I see what you are speaking about ... So in you opinion, will Dart panels work or will it be a significant visual "thing" I'd be obsessing over for years? Also, looks like you did a great classy detail on yours. Could you send me a close-up of that and let me know if it's simply painted, or covered, or what you did there?
I wish I could say I did something creative there but that is just the way they were originally

I’ll go out to the garage later today and I should be able to come up with the part numbers for the rear panels for the Darts and Barracudas. You can then just the list with the part number that’s molded into the backside of the panels.
The best that I could come up with is that the replacement part numbers listed below. With that said the replacement panels would have had to be painted before they could be installed. That means that the replacement panels may not have the same part number as the production parts had.

1969 Barracuda 2090 right 2091 left
1969 Dart 2092 right 2093 left

I don’t fully understand why the part numbers are only four digits long.
In 67 it appears that the Dart may have used a two piece panel and the Barracuda used a one piece panel.
I couldn’t figure out what was used by part number on either 67 or 68.

In 67 it appears that the Dart may have used a two piece panel and the Barracuda used a one piece panel
67 dart the plastic panel is all one piece.

There is a chrome metal piece that attached to it but I think barracuda has the same.

67 dart origionals
IMG_20200307_143757.jpg

IMG_20200307_142910.jpg

The best that I could come up with is that the replacement part numbers listed below. With that said the replacement panels would have had to be painted before they could be installed. That means that the replacement panels may not have the same part number as the production parts had.

1969 Barracuda 2090 right 2091 left
1969 Dart 2092 right 2093 left

I don’t fully understand why the part numbers are only four digits long.
In 67 it appears that the Dart may have used a two piece panel and the Barracuda used a one piece panel.
I couldn’t figure out what was used by part number on either 67 or 68.
They were the same in all my 67-69 Darts though some were two-tone. Never had a 67-68 Barracuda convertible, but my 69 looks similar to my Dart except the tops...

-
Back