Help Junkyard coil for HEI distributor?

-
Find something like this ,maybe Radio Shack (I got mine from an old pc CPU) and screw it on the top of it after applying the grease .

Attachments

• 201105011900133321.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 220
I have this same set up in my 72 Duster .I did it because the GM HEI module is much cheaper than the stock Mopar box.Although I may later mock up a 'dummy' stock Mopar ignition set up to give it the original look.The one thing I did with mine and it is VERY important is add the anti heat grease on the back of the module,and find an aluminum heat sink to attach it to and run the module to the inside of the car.These modules get hot and will burn out if they get too hot and the heat sink will keep it cool.I've had the same HEI module in my Duster for 4 years now and never had to replace it yet.

Though frying the HEI module probably isn't the OP's problem (not that I'd ignore the possibility of a rash of cheap Chinese unit failures!), I figured I'd mention this super little heatsink by Designed 2 Drive (Nathan is a super guy who'll take his time to share knowledge and answer any of the silly questions one might have - props to him!) that places the ugly little HEI box under a Mopar distributor:

x639e.jpg

Not only is this thing very nice and inexpensive (and comes with the small terminal for the HEI module, saving me a junkyard run), it's the perfect way to hide the GM module - especially on a pre-'73 points car, where the ignition module may be out of place or a pain to find a spot for. It doubles as a heatsink, so other than digging up some thermal paste, so it's pretty much an all-in-one problem solver.

You can hardly see it when installed:
24q0qow.jpg

2njc94j.jpg

-Kurt

Though frying the HEI module probably isn't the OP's problem (not that I'd ignore the possibility of a rash of cheap Chinese unit failures!), I figured I'd mention this super little heatsink by Designed 2 Drive (Nathan is a super guy who'll take his time to share knowledge and answer any of the silly questions one might have - props to him!) that places the ugly little HEI box under a Mopar distributor:

x639e.jpg

Not only is this thing very nice and inexpensive (and comes with the small terminal for the HEI module, saving me a junkyard run), it's the perfect way to hide the GM module - especially on a pre-'73 points car, where the ignition module may be out of place or a pain to find a spot for. It doubles as a heatsink, so other than digging up some thermal paste, so it's pretty much an all-in-one problem solver.

You can hardly see it when installed:
24q0qow.jpg

2njc94j.jpg

-Kurt
That's neat.I was thinking of doing something like that at first.But eh,I just decided to move it to the inside of the car away from any engine heat.It's currently tucked away under the passenger side kick panel.:D I was also going to add maybe the pick up in the distributor?When I first installed the V8 in my Duster,I had no spark either until I adjusted the pick up inside the dizzy.Then it fired right up.I hate damn electrical problems.Blah at electrical work.

That's neat.I was thinking of doing something like that at first.But eh,I just decided to move it to the inside of the car away from any engine heat.It's currently tucked away under the passenger side kick panel.:D I was also going to add maybe the pick up in the distributor?When I first installed the V8 in my Duster,I had no spark either until I adjusted the pick up inside the dizzy.Then it fired right up.I hate damn electrical problems.Blah at electrical work.

That works - but still, make sure it's on a heatsink. Without it, it's fry cook time for your under-dash HEI.

-Kurt

-
Back