Help, leaky 727

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
does anyone know the torque for the new 727 pan gasket #P2464324AC? i've been going nuts trying to seal my 727, which you'd think any idiot could do it, thus i've proved that wrong. tried with original pan (checked for squareness, and flattened bolts holes) 1. with rubber gasket and weather stripping adhesive on the pan and dry on the 727 side. 2. high temp silicon, both sides. 3. new pan, weather stripping adhesive on the pan, silicon on the 727 side. and finally with the #P2464324AC, with nothing on it and torqued to 150" pounds (which is what the parts guy told me) but maybe that was for the old cork gasket. also i made sure that nothing was leaking down from the usual places (shift shaft seal, throttle pressure shaft seal, cooling lines, neutral switch, filler tube or speedo cable!) and checked mating surface of the 727. each time the leak changed location, but was definately from the edge of the pan. seemed like 150" pounds was to tight for the new reusable gasket. thanks for any help Gerry

I torqued mine to 150" lbs. with no problem. Some silicone sealers don't lend themselves well to ATF. They make special RTV for auto transmissions but you don't need it with the reusable gasket. You install it dry. Every time I've used one it hasn't even as much as seeped. Usually it's something else leaking down making it look like the pan is leaking. I see you say you checked all the other area's prone to leaking but you might want to check again to make sure you didn't miss something. Check the front band adjuster lock nut too. I've had a couple I had to crank down real tight to keep from leaking.

Get the factory pan gasket from a 518 series transmission. Torque it properly and the leaking problem should disappear. This type of gasket is being used by the big 3 to prevent leaking problems (warranty). I've had a couple of late model GM vehicles with that type of gasket in it, and never a leaking problem.
I live in Langley, so send me a private message and I'll tell you where to get this type of gasket.

theres one more place it can leak that has'nt been brought up. check the rear band lever pin. back of the case, passenger side. extension housing holds it in. it drips onto the pan and runs all over.

-
Back