Help me do a sizzler hood please!

-

Radarsonwheels

Reaction score
I have a set of matte black stripes and I'm wondering how to paint the center blackout. Do I apply the stripes, then paint and hope the reducer doesn't make a mess out of the inside tape stripe?

Should I mask it off so the body color/blackout transition is covered by the inside stripe? I'm planning to use John Deere (valspar enamel) 'Blitz Black' for my wing, scoop, and blackout. I used it before and it has a nice satin look with amazing durability and colorfastness in the sun.

Haha don't judge me but Im doing '03 Ford medium platinum metallic for a body color. Should be a little different. I'm looking for more sinister than easter egg, not that I wasnt tempted to do sassy grass or purple.

Any tips on the sizzler paint/order of operations would be highly appreciated!

Radar

I want to do a sizzler design on my demon also. BTW, where did you pic up the stripes?

paint the blackout and let the stripe cover the edge would be my suggestion

paint the blackout and let the stripe cover the edge would be my suggestion

This seems like the best idea. I bought my stripes off of challengergary.com They look good but I only unrolled them to check them out and put them back into the box. He marks the demon side stripes L and R which is why you see some drooping down the fender lip when they are on the wrong sides. His kits seem to get good reviews and he had great service and prices.

I do trust my body/paint guy to make it look right. I gave him printed photos marked up with pen showing how the driver side hood stripes hit the wiper pivot then run paralell to the hood line, then measure PS to mirror it, also how the tape stripes wrap around the edges. I don't know if I need to make a template to give them for the blackout or if that's too hand-holdey and I should let the pros figure it out?

I gotta do this on my 72 soon. I m gonna lay the whole thing out and paint it. I don t like the contrast between the paint and vinyl. Just my opinion. I know it won t look factory....it ll look better

-
Back