Help me ID the transmission i have.

-

parrainx

Reaction score
My '65 Valiant was missing speedometer cable and shift cable. Looking at the repair manual both of the cables have push in type connections at the tranny, but mine has a screw in speedo and a lever for a shifter.

7.jpg

6.jpg

From what i learned searching around i might have a 727 (I thought it was only V8s), rather than 904 trans? Starter is on the top. Also the driveshaft slips onto the spline (if that's any indication). I included some photos.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

I already got the speedo cable, but need help finding the shift cable (column shifter) any idea where i can get OEM style or aftermarket one that will work.

Thank you.

Looks like somebody hacked in a 66 and up transmission. Probably not a bad thing. I would look for that model shifter rod. If the drive shaft slips in the tailshaft housing, that's it. Kinda hard to tell from your crummy pictures.

Easiest way to identify a 727 from a 904 while in the car is to look at the tranny pan. Don't have a pic, but there are some on this site that illustrate the differences..

Grant

ID'n a 727 from a 904 is easy. The 727 has a bulge on the right pan rail, easily seen by just sticking your head down on the passenger side. In the gaskets below, the top one is 727, bottom one is 904, and the right side of the drawing represents the passenger side pan rail

116_0302_trans05_z.jpg

In photo below, RIGHT side of pan is at TOP of photo:

904-727.JPG

You either need to get a cable shift transmission or a linkage shift column and related parts. If it hasn't been converted except for the transmission, you'll also need a driveshaft, '66-7 speedo cable, and shift linkage to complete the changeover to the '66 style setup. If you want to keep it stock, you'll need the shift and park cable along with the correct transmission.

-
Back