Help me my Eyes are watering

-

412 Stroker

Reaction score
Well heres the deal, my wife says she is done riding in my car untill i figure out where and how I keep getting exhaust in the car, took my car over to a reliable muffler shop he went over it found a bunch of leaks, welded all shut, it was better, but on our way down to Appleton last weekend to a show by the time we got there both our eyes were watering, called the muffler guy this week he thinks I have a bad trunk seal (which I have a new one not installed yet) my exhaust exits below the bumper, no tips 2 1/2" all the way back, I do have electric cut outs, but they dont seem to leaking, any ideas??

If you have air leaks into the car at the rear, it matters not that the exhaust does not leak. When you are tootin' down the road, air leaks into the interior by sucking air from behind the car INTO the car. Anyone that's ever owned a wagon knows this

You need a good trunk seal, and if the package tray is tight, consider at least plastic over the rear seat opening. Safer, of course is a metal firewall.

It helps if you can retain a good positive airflow / pressure through the car, IE leave the vent/ heater open. I unhook my heater in the summer, and almost never shut the cowl vents.

(I don't have this problem, it's to keep me cool, LOL)

Don't crack the windows, it makes it worse. Keep them all the way up or down and if all the way up, open up front vents and let fresh air in and help dilute the fumes. I've been there with exhaust fumes while drag racing and/or burning the tires off. Putting turn downs on the ends also helps a little bit.

You should see an improvement if it's badly worn. As said earlier turn downs may help as well.

Agree about the trunk seal.
Every time I have ever dealt with that it's been because the exhaust pipes don't go all the way back, the trunk seal or both.

(Or having the back window down in a station wagon) :)

all good points to consider.
i once followed a 40's street rod home at highway speeds... with a large gap between our cars.
.. my eyes stung beyond belief.
you may need to lean your carburetors' cruise circuit or rebuild it and check your engines overall tune if you are excessively rich.
..the problem is worse with an airgap style intake or having the intake heat cross-over blocked.
..just a thought.

-
Back