Help Me Out 360 Head Question!!

-

scottylack

Reaction score
I need to figure out my compression I'm getting in my engine... but cant find any volume numbers on my heads...

I'm running a stock 1978 4027596 head....stock head gasket...! VOLUME???

HELP!!

wow...thats big!!!

Yes it is. They are rated at 68 cc's but I don't know how they ever cam to that conclusion as I have never seen one less than 70 cc's stock. Most stock ones are in the 70-76 cc range from what I've seen. Alot of it depends on how many valve jobs have been done on them. If they've had the valves ground 2 or 3 times the valves will be sunk so far the combustion chamber cc's will be way up there. Just installing different valves can make a big diff. on it too. I went from stock valves to stainless REV valves and dropped from 70.8 cc's to 64.9 cc's on my X heads.

my j's were 69cc on 3cyl & 64cc on one.
the other head was 66cc-65.7 across.

you need to measure the chamber volume to really know.

you could do some calculator stuff with matching your actual dynamic/cranking psi, to what a compression calculator says you should have.

so measure the cranking psi, then input the cams intake closing degree and change the assumed static till you get close/on what dynamic matches yours.

all you gotta do is start with an assumed static then punch in yer intake closing event # and the rest is piston height, gasket thickness etc....

KB has a calculator that can help.

I need to figure out my compression I'm getting in my engine... but cant find any volume numbers on my heads...

I'm running a stock 1978 4027596 head....stock head gasket...! VOLUME???

HELP!!
The cylinder head comparison chart in the How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Mopar lists your casting number at 66 cc and the piston sits .067 below the deck surface.

-
Back