HELP ME PLEASE: RESTO BUILD SHEET & FENDER TAG ?'s @ Transmission

-

3LOWmileV's

3LOWmileV's
Reaction score
I am new here & have already gotten lots of good info regarding my current project with regard to the direction to take my '69 Valiant 100 2-door sedan: I think I am going to keep it fairly stock original as its a survivor (39K, mostly original paint, rust free, "perfect" interior, etc.) and do a Hyper Pak set-up (vs. a v8 swap so I can retain the original engine) and add disc brakes & an 8 3/4" sure grip rear, stock '69 Formula S rims, etc. I am just now looking very closely at this car's original build sheet & the fender tag & THIS IS WHAT HAS ME STUMPED: I am fairly familiar with decoding build sheets & fender tags from my 2 1970 Valiants without any difficulty and am fairly competent working on them (but have most mechanical stuff done by others plus they are survivors also so have not had to do much), I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT THE TRANSMISSION IN THIS '69!!! Everything else seems to be straitforward and checks out with the car as I go through the decoding book I've got (by Jake Hare) and looking at references I've found online. THIS IS THE MAIN QUESTION: the build sheet shows "D11" for the transmission as does the fender tag which would indicate a 3 speed 904 manual transmission BUT THE CAR IS A FACTORY AUTOMATIC? What am I missing here? The car appears unchanged & all original: no evidence of having been a manual car ever (the firewall has the factory plug were a clutch would have been, everything looks appropriately aged/dirty without any modifications, it certainly never had a floor shift (don't know if these 3 speeds were on the column or floor?). I AM WONDERING IF THE BUILD SHEET & FENDER TAG COULD HAVE BEEN INCORRECT DURING PRODUCTION AS THE BUILD SHEET HAS THE TRANSMISSION CODE CIRCLED IN RED/ORANGE CRAYON? I'd like to keep things fairly stock but it seems like a manual transmission would actually better match the documentation even if that's not how it was actually built? Were these manual shifts floor or column mounted in these cars? I'm sure you all know these things better than me, so I apprecite your help. Am I decoding things wrong or did the factory mistakingly duplicate the "11" from the engine box (170 /6) into the transmission box on the build sheet & onto the fender tag, or I guess could the transmission have been changed (I really doubt this given the appearance & the fair amount of history I know)? Also, what transmission is the automatic it has? I found a stamped number forward on passenger side "1B289948" I think, so what is it or where should I look? The engine seems to match & check out fine: molded in the forward driver side block is part # "2463230-2" which is a LGFC 170 /6 (according to online references this correctly matches the engine code of "11", the Hare decoding book doesn't seem to list this code # for some reason) and has the # "09198" molded in toward the rear, I think this is a date code for 09/19/68 which would make sense for a '69 model (is there anywhere to find the actual build date for the car? (vs. just a sequence #) - I don't think the '69's had door stickers with a build date did they? Also, the '69's didn't have a VIN stamped on the engine or transmission yet, that started in 1970 right so numbers matching comes down to dates & supporting history, right?

I really appreciate any & all help as this transmission issue will affect how I proceed with this project.
THANKS, Paul
304 415-5208
paulochs "insert at" charter.net

v10 (2).jpg

v1 (2).jpg

You need to search the board for transmissions, I'm sure the info you seek has already been covered in regard to the 904...and I also have read that the serial number is stamped on the block first in '68.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong(usually am...just ask the wife) but isn't the A904 3 spd an auto? I think you have the correct trany. As for keeping the /6, and adding Hyper pack type accessories sounds awesome. You would turn more heads than a Hemi.

look for another number on the tranny. it will be a 7 digit number with no letters in it. look at the left side of the case flange near the oil pan.

With regard to the 904 being an auto or manual, it was both I believe: "D11" = 3 speed manual 904 while "D31" = 3 speed automatic. Thanks for all the help already, appreciate any & all info everyone.

Actually, 904 is auto, while a manual 3 speed is a 903. Just found that out. Google is a wonderful thing.
There were other 3 speed manuals also, but most sixties /6's and some lo-po V8's had the 903. I think your car is in original state bro. It looks like a fun project.....I'm jealous.

"and I also have read that the serial number is stamped on the block first in '68."

I read somewhere that the start of VIN marked engines & transmissions was in 1969 with the Daytonas ONLY that year. But I may be relaying incorrect info, so.... This is the only car I've ever done hard core mechanical stuff to, so I want to be sure I get it right as I plan to keep it if I udertake it. I'm thinking approaching the project this way: carefully assessing the cars current state (condition and any variations from factory build), obtain any necessary NOS/repro parts, pull & rechrome the little chrome it has, high grade complete repaint including engine bay & trunk, and then engine & suspension/rear/brake work (the interior really needs nothing but a little detail) - does this sequence seem to make the most sense, any advice from members restorations? I'm trying to avoid having everything pulled apart laying around as I would expect this to be a couple year project to do right for me. Certainly don't want this to become a failed restoration with a good car scattered around in parts boxes! I think my paint/body guy wants to do his work in exchange for my truck I tow my car hauler with, so maybe I'll sell one of the 4 doors to cover the rest of the work?

I'm not sure about /6's, but I have two 340's, a 68(vin stamped on front of block) and a 69(vin on rear of block, near oil pressure tap)

I did a search for you and sure enough D11 is a 904 manual transmission.
However what you probably have is a light duty (because of the /6)904 automatic trans.

Anyways I would stay away from the hyper-pac.If you want to go to a 4 bbl go with a Clifford or Offy.Much better on the street.Team them up with either a 390 cfm Holley or a 500 Edelbrock.

075_75.JPG

I had a '69 Fury III that has the VIN stamped on both the engine and transmission. Being your car is also a Plymouth & a '69 I would expect it also to have the VIN stamps. The trans is stamped on a pad on the pan rail.

Maybe your car was built in the same plant as my Fury? It has a 318 code on the VIN, fender tag, VIN on the block & VIN on the transmission but the car has a 273. Yes thats right, it has the VIN stamped on the pan rail with a 318 engine code but the motor is a 273.

Maybe your car is a factory mess up like mine. It was probably supposted to get a manual but maybe the line was doing so many auto transmissions that day that they just put an auto trans in it with out looking. Or they did notice halfway thru and decided to finish it with the auto trans and the next car got the manual trans (maybe it was supposed to be an auto trans) and there is another car with the wrong trans out there.

Anything is possible when humans are involved.

Chuck

-
Back