Help! Need Advice for mating 64 speedo cable to 71 Trans !

-

scottylack

Reaction score
Hey guys have a 64 Barracuda – with the speedo cable attached. Needed to hook up to my 71 904 Trans. How I go about this? Very confused speedo cable is way too small for the opening in the 71 any advice? Thanks

if yours is a thread on style (I believe it is) I have a new one just sitting on a shelf in my garage from the parts pile on my old 64 Valiant. PM me if you're interested.

I think I need one to fit into the 71 transmission. I believe the barrel on the 71 is a lot bigger than the 64 pushbutton transmission 904

Imperial Services has stopped taking public orders. It may be very hard/impossible to find unless you find another place to make a custom one with the 64 trans attachment and the 71 gauge fitting. Is your gauge fitting threaded or slip-on?

It's a 64. Threaded I believe

So you need to find a cable with the large end for the trans, and a threaded end for the speedo.

I'm not as familiar with the early a's, but I do know that the 64 was originally a pushbutton trans that used two cables to control the trans.

The 66/67 and later transmissions used linkages to select the gears. How are you getting the linkage trans to work? Are you converting it to the later style linkages and a column shift?

You may be better off going with another 64-65 trans if you can't find the proper speedo cable and or get the linkages hooked up.

Just some ideas for you to think about....

http://www.bperacing.com/speedometer_cables

They show the early screw on and late clip on at the speedo. The pictures do look like the later style has more cable showing on trans end. May call them up to see if they make they're own or maybe they can help you out.

Can you swap the speedo gear housing from the early to the late?

http://www.bperacing.com/speedometer_cables

They show the early screw on and late clip on at the speedo. The pictures do look like the later style has more cable showing on trans end. May call them up to see if they make they're own or maybe they can help you out.

Good find!

I think that Imperial Services is making their cables. You may be able to order a custom one through Bouchillon from Imperial if you can't find one that will work in their stock.

Both take the same size thread at the transmsion. Is the 71 missing the speedo pinion gear housing? Maybe post up a picture.

66 67- cars use threads on both ends--- do not know how the housing for the 71 gear attachment works but if it threads on that might be an option ,Lawrence

That might work. Should fit in Trans. But worried about thread on back of speedo

the thread? is it a clip style? the 64's should all be threads. I have a busted 64 barracuda speedo I could attach it to and send you a pic.

just checked the garage. looks like i threw out that old bad speedo

You should be able to find that cable. I had one Barracuda that took a clip on speedo connection and another that had a screw on. 67 & 68's. Just get an accurate picture or take it out and look at it before buying to make sure it has the right connections.

Try having them look up a 67 and 68 barracuda to see if one has the screw on end that you are looking for. the trans end should work on your trans.

-
Back