Help please. Vibration in steering column

-

JamesRR

Reaction score
There is quite a bit of vibration occurring in my steering column. Pulled it up a bit to change a header gasket and put everything back together in the seemingly correct way. Im not sure if it was always shaking like that or if I did something putting it back? The play where it can move is where the column goes into the firewall. seemingly the grommet is there but I can move the column a little bit by hand. Thoughts? Lemme know. Thanks!

j

It's not really vibration. It is play at the fire wall. Like the seal should be more snug.

Steering column anchors at the steering box and the clamp under the dash. Does it move from the steering wheel end or the engine compartment end?

Don't quite get what you mean by "Pulled it up a bit"? Dennis

Steering column anchors at the steering box and the clamp under the dash. Does it move from the steering wheel end or the engine compartment end?

Don't quite get what you mean by "Pulled it up a bit"? Dennis

I pulled the steering column a bit to get the header off. Replaced it as it was an now the column coming out of the firewall towards the engine compartment rattles around. Not tight coming out of the firewall. Thanks

Check the steering box to the crossmember. Your bolts may have loosened up. Happened to me on my '64. They were way loose attaching the box to the crossmember. The column is only held in by a thin metal flange on the inside of the firewall and the bracket under the dash.

-
Back