Help? Problem: Speedometer cable for 727 transmission/65 Cuda

-

65goldcuda

@65_Cuda w/408/727/Dana 60
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am upgrading my entire powertrain and I now have a new 360 block with a brand new 727 transmission from Performance Automatic. I am now faced with yet another interesting problem. The old speedometer housing connector that goes into the side of the new 727 trans is about 1" in diameter (the old cable came from the original 904 trans). Problem..the hole in the new trans is about 2"..so the cable/housing is too small!

So...any suggestions of what to do? Is there someone that makes an adapter? Or do I need a whole new cable (because the old cable and old housing appear to be one solid unit that can't be separated). IF you think I need a new cable...do you know where I can find one (I have already called Performance Automatic, Jeggs and Summit...no luck). I am guessing I might need a used one out of a mid 70's MOPAR. The next question would be...even If i could find the correct cable that fit into the housing of the 727, would the other end match up to the insert of my current original factory speedometer? (Again I have a 65 Cuda with the original gauge cluster). Or...do you think I will need to change out my old gauges for a newer more modern cluster/cable/speedometer? By the way..I know the speedo gear is based on the gear ratio and tire size. I have a new Dana 60 with 3.54 gears, and 225/70/14 tires.

I have attached some pictures...Ok Guys thanks in advance...show me your MOPAR awesomeness and help me figure out a solution PLEASE!

Attachments

• IMG_3743.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 888
  • IMG_3748.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_3745.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 892
Actually, it's a pretty easy solution: You need a 66/67 speedometer cable which has the large nut for a 66-up pinion adapter and the correct smaller end for your speedometer. You need the pinion adapter and the appropriate pinion gear for your tire size and rear end ratio. I've got the outer cable (but no inner one), pinion adapter and various size gears that I'd swap you for your 65 cable and gear. I have a 65 inner cable and can check to see if it's the same size as the 66/67 A Body outer cable

Actually, it's a pretty easy solution: You need a 66/67 speedometer cable which has the large nut for a 66-up pinion adapter and the correct smaller end for your speedometer. You need the pinion adapter and the appropriate pinion gear for your tire size and rear end ratio. I've got the outer cable (but no inner one), pinion adapter and various size gears that I'd swap you for your 65 cable and gear. I have a 65 inner cable and can check to see if it's the same size as the 66/67 A Body outer cable

Thank you, private message sent to you.

Or...do you think I will need to change out my old gauges for a newer more modern cluster/cable/speedometer?!

When you think about that factory gauge cluster and how much if it is any use to you, updating the gauges makes sense. A lot of sense.

If you went this route forget about the speedo sender/cable all together. Don't run one. Use a GPS speedo. No cable, accurate speeds, doesn't matter if you change gears or tires.

"Too small" is usually better. I vaguely recall an adapter bushing to fit your cable end to the tranny. But, your end looks beat to heck and I recall the cable might need a plastic jacket to keep from leaking fluid.

A 66 dart cable did the trick, and most auto parts store have them in stock, search eBay for the gear and adapter.

-
Back