help--- RADIATOR/TRANSMISSION FITTINGS (BRASS)

-

BIG-B-Barracuda

Reaction score
Need help where can i find these radiator brass fittings that lead to the transmission - my radiator has two and the bottom.

whats the proper name for these?

any one have a ROCKAUTO part number?

or a lead of where i can get them? :blob:

Flare fittings is what I call them, but normally they are called cooler line fittings when referring to cars and transmissions.
You should be able to get them at almost any decent hardware store.
I know Ace Hardware has them.

It's a pipe fitting into the cooler and a flair fitting for the line.

They can be called several names. The "proper" name for the flare is "SAE." This sets it apart from JIC /AN, which is a 37 degree flare angle and in some sizes, different size thread. SAE (normally brass, not always) is 45 degree flare. This is most common on older US cars, and hardware such as ice machines, and all older refrigeration equipment, IE coolers, freezers, older AC units

JIC / AN is often used on hydraulic stuff like industrial and farm tractors.

What you want is

.... sometimes called a "half union" that is a "union" would be flare both ends. also just sometimes called an "adapter."

Pipe on one end, SAE flare on the other. I have never seen JIC /AN fittings in brass, only aluminum or other alloy, or steel

So you want a "half union" or adapter in SAE flare, and whatever pipe size by whatever flare size.

Most cooler fittings are 5/16 flare. That is, flare is called out by the tubing size.

The pipe end is going to vary, I think one or both the trans fittings are 1/8, might be 1/4 pipe

Pipe is called out by it's nominal ID

Smallest COMMON size is 1/8 pipe which is roughly 3/8" OD, then 1/4, then 3/8 which is roughly 5/8" OD (You can use a 3/8 pipe nipple to connect two 5/8 heater hoses, EG)

OD of pipe thread for identification

stpats.com/manuals/MEP%20manuals/corkerNewManuals/NPTSizing.pdf

This chart compares different types

SAE is towards the bottom, notice below that is inverted flare which is your brake stuff

"Tube size" is along the top in sixteenths of an inch, that is, 5 is 5/16 which is where you get the "number sizes" used in AN fittings

brennaninc.com/documents/BrennanThreadChart.pdf

here are photos of the after math.

i was replacing the water pump
couldn't get to the water pump unless radiator was removed
this darn thing stripped on me i had put PB blaster beforehand with no luck on this one other was fine.

line did suffer some bending though hope i didnt break it. had to drill it and hold it in place with a screw driver while turning it with wrench.

the current radiator - a Original stock radiator has the upper hose fitment on the right side which works for me but the lower hose fitment is on the left which is a pain because that leaves too much room for hoses to "collapse" since the water pump housing outlet sticks and points out to the right side (driver side). currently looking to replace that.

so thats why i was asking about eliminating/plugging those cooling lines. bad idea i figure but thought id ask. about damage that would cause./

the current radiator - a Original stock radiator has the upper hose fitment on the right side which works for me but the lower hose fitment is on the left which is a pain because that leaves too much room for hoses to "collapse" since the water pump housing outlet sticks and points out to the right side (driver side). currently looking to replace that.

so thats why i was asking about eliminating/plugging those cooling lines. bad idea i figure but thought id ask. about damage that would cause./

I think I still have the original transmission lines off my 69 Barracuda (904/318) from when I swapped out for a 2004R. But you seem to be saying that you want to plug the radiator trans line fittings?? If you plug the radiator fittings how will you cool your trans??

treblig

I think I still have the original transmission lines off my 69 Barracuda (904/318) from when I swapped out for a 2004R. But you seem to be saying that you want to plug the radiator trans line fittings?? If you plug the radiator fittings how will you cool your trans??

treblig

i was thinking of using a small oil cooler kinda thing.

but thats beyond the point. thanks for the help/ !:cheers::cheers:

haha i did realize it was a stupid question before i even thought of it. :happy1::sign3:haha

They used to carry them at local hardware stores back in the day, but they have started pulling the low sellers and those have disappeared...

-
Back