Help Starter relay wire

-

tekslk

Reaction score
My wire on my 67 barracuda from the battery to the relay is shot, it seams to be all one cable to the starter with the lead to the relay. My question is can you change just the relay wire or do I need to get a whole new cable?​

You can cut away the remains of the old wire and run a new 10ga wire from the starter relay to the battery positive cable clamp. Use good quality wire, zip-tie it securely out of harm's way, and use good-quality ring terminals on the ends.

Well, I like name-brand wire and terminals (Belden, PowerPath, Carol, Standard...) from a decent auto parts store (NAPA, Big-A, CarQuest...).

I had to do mine recently and I put a circuit breaker inline between the battery and the relay.
Not positive, but I think the original wire from the battery to the relay was a fusable link (Hence the circuit breaker)
Either way if I have a short somewhere in the system the relay will kick out.

I replaced mine two days ago because I was driving along just fine and the car just shut off. (Along with ALL cabin and guage power)
There was a cheezy car stereo type fuse holder in that line between the battery and the relay that just suddenly lost connection.
The part that screwed with me was that the fuse was fine, but my test light proved the loss of power to the relay.
That's why I replaced the fuse with the circuit breaker.

10 Ga wire, circuit breaker and all connector ends were about 16 bucks.
Also, I firmly believe in soldering those crimp connectors.

Thanks alot Dan and everyone else I will try napa today.

I don't consider Napa a quality parts store anymore. They carry a lot of Chinese junk along with their good stuff so watch what you buy from them. They disappoint me more than not.

I don't consider Napa a quality parts store anymore. They carry a lot of Chinese junk along with their good stuff so watch what you buy from them. They disappoint me more than not.

I agree. Here in Coeur d Alene, I actually have been getting better service from O'Really. They even gave me a Military (I'm a Vet) discount. Young lady in there was very patient and helpful. O'Really DOES carry some brand name stuff, including Precision U joints and Wix filters, Felpro gaskets. Had Mr Gasket header gaskets in stock for a Mopar SB, something NAPA scoffed at.

-
Back