Help, steering column problem

-

Black 69 Dart

Reaction score
Installed alter-k, had to trim the outer housing of steering column. put everything back together and now the main shaft that attaches to the steering wheel and rack, slides in and out causing the upper outer housings to come loose. Anyone have any ideas??? I am at my whits end with this thing. I have tried everything and its the same problem.

Trevor

Installed alter-k, had to trim the outer housing of steering column. put everything back together and now the main shaft that attaches to the steering wheel and rack, slides in and out causing the upper outer housings to come loose. Anyone have any ideas??? I am at my whits end with this thing. I have tried everything and its the same problem.

Trevor

You talking about the main shaft with the steering wheels is sliding up and down?

Almost sounds like your steering shaft length is incorrect or the box is not mounted correctly. Do you have power or manual steering? There is a difference in length between the two types of steering shafts, manual being longer to compensate for the manual box being shorter in length...

And why did you have to trim the column jacket?

Something ain't right, should not have to trim anything.

Yes the main shaft is sliding, pull on the wheel and it slides about 1/2 inch. but the shaft in the engine bay moves too. I have installed the Alterkation front suspension. The factory column attaches to a mid shaft with u-joints and that attaches to the rack. I had to trim it because I am installing a 6.1 hemi and the outer housing hit on the cyl head.

Trevor

Yes the main shaft is sliding, pull on the wheel and it slides about 1/2 inch. but the shaft in the engine bay moves too. I have installed the Alterkation front suspension. The factory column attaches to a mid shaft with u-joints and that attaches to the rack. I had to trim it because I am installing a 6.1 hemi and the outer housing hit on the cyl head.

Trevor

It is slip shaft shaft that that is leld together by a plastic shear pin that goes from the steering wheel to the coupler as far as I know. There is some kind of shear pin from what has been said on the forum and if that gets broken you end up with what you have. I wish I knew where to find the thread where a member had the same issues on a 67 to a 69 Barracuda. If you can locate it there is some good information there.

Is the pinch bolt where the joint attaches to the rack tight? Is it in the right place? There's a rounded slot where it should slide in without any interference.

X2 on the shear pins on the shaft, could be a possibility but I don't think it's likely. I believe there would be more movement than a 1/2 inch.

I found a MM article where they install an AlterK. Did you perform the step in photo 12? Sounds like that might have something to do with your issue.

Interwebs are your friend.

I think it's the small bolts with the square heads. I found that they need to hook into the slots on the outer tube. If that's not it I am guessing sheet pin. Where are the sheer pins located and can they be changed of they are broken?

Here is a example of the shaft. The plastic pin is in the hole you see that is close to the yellow stripe.

attachment.php

Are the upper bearing snap ring retainers in place? You shouldn't be able to move the shaft up and down with the steering wheel

Can the sheer pins be replaced?

You really can't. I collapsed a shaft a few years ago by tapping on the end of it trying to get it loose. Guys have 'fixed' collapsed shafts but IMO, once the pins have sheared, the shaft is junk. Unless you can find some way to get the delrin back in there, like an injection molding type of deal, it ain't worth it. You wouldn't want something solid in there either as the purpose of the pins is to provide "give" during a frontal crash to prevent the shaft from impaling you to the back of your seat.

I'm not so sure your shaft is collapsed anyway. Best way to check for this is to take the column back out and pull on the lower part of the shaft. If it comes all the way out, obviously there's your problem. Sounds to me though like something with the joint or below.

Also, did you check the column mounts under the dash? I know the later cars have the breakaway tabs in the brackets, not sure on a '69. If those weren't in there or were shot, I bet it would slide around. Just a thought.

There is a retainer ring above and below the upper bearing, this is what keeps the shaft from moving up and down in the column. If the outer column is separating the bolts are probably loose that hold it together.the length of the shaft doesn't keep it from moving inside the column

Thanks to everyone for the help, everyone's input helped diagnose the problem. What the problem was, was the square headed bolts that hook into the jacket. My column is missing the signal turn leaver, and I thought that's what those were for. Turns out they are to hold the upper housing to the jacket. I really appreciate everyone's input and help. Thanks again
Trevor

Thanks to everyone for the help, everyone's input helped diagnose the problem. What the problem was, was the square headed bolts that hook into the jacket. My column is missing the signal turn leaver, and I thought that's what those were for. Turns out they are to hold the upper housing to the jacket. I really appreciate everyone's input and help. Thanks again
Trevor

Great, I am glad you got it figured out.

-
Back