Help vacuum pick up converting to power brakes

-

cuda69red

Reaction score
Has anyone converted manual brake cyl. and upgraded to power brakes. If so where did you pick up vacuum for booster.Did you buy a carb spacer with a 3/8 nipple? It is a 69 barracuda front disc rear drum.

There is an NPT hole tapped into the back of the intake manifold. All factory intakes have one. On A/C equipped cars, there will be a small vacuum nipple screwed into it. Non A/C, Manual Brake will just have an NPT plug screwed in.
I have everything you need to make a Power Brake conversion for that car. PM me if you need parts

There is an NPT hole tapped into the back of the intake manifold. All factory intakes have one. On A/C equipped cars, there will be a small vacuum nipple screwed into it. Non A/C, Manual Brake will just have an NPT plug screwed in.
I have everything you need to make a Power Brake conversion for that car. PM me if you need parts
I don't know what PM means. I tried to split off with other nipple on that small nipple with different fitting. Not enough vacuum for both.

Photos

20160827_114148.jpg

20160827_114054.jpg

Just get a spacer. Youll get the full 3/8 diameter vacuum spud. The booster should not 'take' any vacuum at rest, only hold it once started. If you dont have enough vacuum for both, you have a leak somewhere.

You should be able to find a brass nipple or elbow with the male NPT threads on one end and a hose barb on the other end for the brake hose. I'd drill/tap the side of said fitting for a small 1/8-NPT hose barb. You also may get lucky and find an elbow or nipple that already has a large & small nipple integral to it.

Or splice this into your brake hose once you get it hooked up properly: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-47345/overview/

Last edited:
That's Canadian dollars so it's only about $35USD. It's a pretty unique/specific part so it's not going to be $5.

That's Canadian dollars so it's only about $35USD. It's a pretty unique/specific part so it's not going to be $5.
Okay thanks everyone. I think I am going to get a carb spacer with 3/8 vacuum fitting and use original 1/8 fitting for dash control

Okay thanks everyone. I think I am going to get a carb spacer with 3/8 vacuum fitting and use original 1/8 fitting for dash control
Why ask for advice when you are just going to do it wrong? The correct fitting is the way they did it from the factory. Why reinvent the wheel? IMO, as always. :thumbsup:

-
Back