Help; Voltage Regulator and MSD RPM Mod

-

harley97sp

Reaction score
1970 Dart Swinger with 1971 340

I am having some problems with flickering lights when on, headlights, dash lights and gauge lights.

I have been told that it is probably my voltage regulator. Ok here is my question. I went to look at the voltage regulator to ge the model and part number off the regulator and there are no markings. Nothing...it has the 2 plug in connector, blue and green wire. Blue wire going to balast resistor and green going?

What voltage regulator do I need? I searched ebay and there are a few different models/brands to choose from and I dont know which one to buy?

Also balast resistor?

Next question which I am really just stupid about. I have a MSD RPM Module Selector 6000 - 8000 rpm with a Soft Touch Rev Control limiter #MSD-8728. My question is where do I set the RPM Module switch? What rpm should I set it at???

Thanks in advance

The green wire goes to the single field terminal on your 36 amp altenater. To upgrade to the isolated field 60 amp square back altenater and solid stae regulater is a popular choise. You can buy a solid state regulater that looks and connects just like you OEM mechanical regulater but you'll still only get 36 amps from that closed field alt.
If you've added electrical equipment like fans, sterios, etc.. you probably need more power.
Also keep in mind that even after the expense of upgrading you may still have the flicker. Weak connections at bulkhead terminals and/or amp gauge will cause the same symptom.
I dont know anything about aftermarket ignition. Good luck

I have a powermaster chrome alternator and have checked and rechecked my connections, changing and or fixing any that looked weak or had bad connections.

Just go to your local parts store and ask for one for your year car. They are less than $20.

BTW, the blue wire is switched battery power and the green wire grounds one side of the field winding in the alternator. It's this grounding of the green wire by the regulator that controls the alternate output. There will also be a blue wire on the alternator to provide power to the altenator field and the output wire.

I was told to just pick up the mopar voltage regulator and ballast resistor for a 1970 Dart and it would work? Ok off to the Napa store this morning unless someone has a better solution? I will wait till noon before going.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

-
Back