help with 273

-
yes, Pre 68 have the small 1.55(?) hub register, 68 and later had the 1.81 register. so a 360 will require a bushing from T-flite patty for use with a pre 68 auto trans or the pilot for a manual. You can cross drill a 273 forged crank to work with 340 rods.

maybe its strange but i kinda like the 3 speed. not sure why. well 3 speed in general. i bought this car with a locked up motor so i have never driven it.

If you're going to keep the 3 speeder, I'd keep the 273 as well. Keeps the car original.

Just my $0.02....

Um, yeah about that 3 speed.

The original 3 speed behind a 273 would have been an A-745 gearbox.

This is an old, simple unit with a non-synchromesh 1st gear. Ratios should be 3.02:1 / 1.76:1 / 1:1

Not the nicest gearbox to drive by today's standards. A complete & careful rebush / rebuild of the shifting linkage would be necessary. An aftermarket floor shifter would probably be a lot easier to deal with.

To each his own, but I think that would be less than fun to drive. A 727 has 3 speeds, and with the right valve body you can slap it around like an M/T.

I appreciate everyone's ideas very much. Has given me lots to think about. I am very new to 60's stuff and chrysler/plymoth/dodge stuff but I wanna have a nice car when I am done (not a cobbled up scrap heap) so I am gonna need lots of help along the way :) Thanks guys

Ok, I put together a 318 out of a 75 lebaron wagon. Compression is stock. Heads are mildly ported, valves are back cut at 30 degrees. I have a comp cam 268 magnum muscle kit (cam, lifters, springs, locks, seals, timing set) air gap intake, holley 600 cfm 4bbl. I think the cam is like 268/272 and lift of .464 or somethin. Anyway, for now I put it in front of the 3 speed. Since I did that, I had to use the 273 manifolds as there is no way a header is goin in on that side. I plan to eventually get an auto trans built for it and switch over to headers. In the mean time, what exhaust set up will sound good on my 318 with manifolds? I would like to have a deep throaty rumble to it. I was thinkin duals into flowmasters and then dump down right off the mufflers hopefully in front of the rear axle. Any thoughts or ideas? I have the 273 y pipe to work off of (or cut and run trrue duals) Ides? Lets hear em!

It should have the size cast into block, and it birth date also.
check here :
http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/id_info/mopar/mopar casting numbers/castingnumbers.html

My advice is to check your numbers. If the casting date from the side of the block, the engine assembly date stamped on the front of the block, and the car build date on the fender tag are all jive then it's probably the original engine. You can also check the heads and manifolds for the correct casting number and casting date.

If it is the original engine at least hang on to it because it makes the car more valuable, not matter what you decide to do.

If it's not the original engine, do whatever you want.

I still have the 273, but the 318 is in there and runnin open manifolds right now. I need to un-demo car it:)

-
Back