help with 440 modifications

-

dazedduster

Reaction score
i have a 78 440 in my 73 duster, it has been rebuilt to stock spec's i want to try to get to 400hp (or close) can i do this with bolt on parts. i did not rebuild it myself i was told it was stock except for .30 over and it had heads off a 72 charger. what do you guys think,

intake
carb
cam, suggestions

it is a dayly driver with power brakes and 373's out back (closest freeway is 50 miles away)

i have not set a budget, but 1500.00 would prbably be my max. going to pick up some side work just wanted to do it without pulling the engine apart if possible. and i dont know how much cam i can run with the lower comp. engine and power brakes. or what combos work good. it has headers right now.

You need to do some leg work most manufactures will specify what compression ratio's their cam's will work best a long with RPM's and other things. As far as the power brake's go they have vacuum reservoirs so you can still run your power brakes. Just go to some of the manufactures web sites and check it out. The same goes for intakes, they even recommend carb cfm's.

I would get the cam recommendation from the cam grinder...you're going to want something to promote building cylinder pressure (not to the point of detonation) with such low static compression. Comp Cams would be my choice!

Carb? Holley Avenger 770. Price is right, vac secondary and usually jetting is dead on out of the box.

Intake? Holley Street Dominator. $216 at Summit and will make more power than any other intake, hands down.

Don't discount a GOOD 2.5/3" exhaust, either and maybe some Schumacher shorty headers.

One other thing to condsider, a Trans Go shift kit and a good 10" (2500-ish stall converter)

All of that could be done for your budget and most likely you'd have a solid, 12-second daily driver!

Comp XE268, Replace valve springs with Comp 911-16 springs, Replace timing set with Summit brand billet roller, replace intake with Performer RPM, replace carb with Holley 3310 750cfm VS or Street Avenger 670VS carb. Recurve distributor. Install cheap headers and a 2.5" dual exhaust system. If the engine is out of the car, I'd also add an MP windage tray.

hi, how are you doing in your quest for power?:cheers: im in same boat, pre 70s 440ci,holley 750 vac sec,edelbrock performer dual plane,shumacker A body headers<are these restrictive?>dont want to remove engine,like to get decent cam and maybe clean up heads,{906}stock cam<idles 100%>unfortunatley not know compression ratio:pale:

-
Back